Friday, February 15, 2013

Signs of Spring and Simple Flower Arranging


 Glancing out the window this morning I noticed this tree bursting with buds just starting to unfurl.  The beauty of the pink against the clear blue of the sky made me anxious to step outside and take a stroll through the garden.

It didn't take long to spot this plump hyacinth bud pushing it's way out of the earth toward the sunlight.

I was surprised to see that one of the hyacinths had already bloomed, although it looks a bit bedraggled.  Do you see what's peeking out from beyond the hyacinth?

 Sure enough . . .
a daffy down dilly.

In fact there are a few clusters of them popping up in the garden.
This is the time of year that I always wonder why I didn't plant more of them last fall.  
They are feeling a bit shy today and casting their pretty faces toward the ground.  I was nearly laying on the ground to take these pictures.  The lengths we bloggers go to for the cause ;- ) .



 I brought one daffodil and a few leaves inside to try a simple flower arrangement I'd recently seen in a magazine.

 I loosely wrapped the leaves around my hand and then pushed them into the bottom of a clear cube shaped vase (the magazine featured a clear round vase, but I didn't have one).


 Slowly added water about 2/3 full.


 After removing the flower from the stem, I set the flower into the water.

See, I told you, s.i.m.p.l.e.
The magazine article said it would only last a couple of days.
So while it lasts we will be enjoying this touch of spring in the powder room.

Wishing you simple pleasures this weekend.
  

Joining in on Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day at May Dreams Gardens.
 
 

9 comments:

  1. Now that is a sweet and simple arrangement. You are a full two months ahead of us and so I will enjoy the photos of daffodils, hyacinths, tulips and whatever else comes along all the while appreciating the great lengths you went through to get them for us. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea and it is so simple but elegant.
    The tree against the blue sky is beautiful.
    Nothing blooming around here yet. I just now remembered that I planted a bunch of bulbs last fall!! Hope they come up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, that is a unique way to present a beautiful flower. Wow, it looks like Spring has sprung at your house! Thanks for taking these photos and sharing them with us. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how exciting to have plants budding and blooming. It's beginning to happen here too. I saw daffodils yesterday and the trees are beginning to bud. Your arrangement is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's pretty groovy, Kim! Oh, I love daffodils. They are miraculous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sweet and simple arrangement. Daffodils are so beautiful and delicate.

    I noticed our Red Bud tree was blooming this morning.... spring will be here soon and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love daffodils and your arrangement is simply beautiful. Simple is perfect for a small room like a powder room. I love that first photo of the budding tree against the blue sky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the flower arrangement! It does look simple, but very striking. Such a treat to see all your spring bloomers; we're still a month away from spring in the Midwest. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful, elegant, and yet simple idea! Clever and creative are two of the words that come to mind when I think of you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.