Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Taking Time to Smell The Lily

My Easter preparations always include the purchase of one Easter Lily.  I look for one containing the most buds with just one or two being open.  That way I can enjoy checking each day to see if another has opened.  But, I think the main reason I buy them is the smell.  To me they are the scent of Easter.  One whiff and I am taken back to all of the Easters of my childhood.   It's like a travel back in time to mom's kitchen... there she stands in her apron checking the ham in the oven.  Soon company will be joining us.  We've been to church and are outfitted in our Sunday best (most definitely patent leather shoes and white gloves for Easter)An Easter Lily and some simple decorations are placed about. 
Hard to believe that all of that can come from one whiff of a lily, isn't it?  But, for me, it's true.  So, as I go about my present day Easter planning, a daily sniff of the Easter Lily keeps the family members who are no longer with us close in thought and warm happy memories.

 At times the preparations for a holiday meal can seem a bit overwhelming.  Things don't always go as planned.  Circumstances change from year to year.  The changes aren't always desirable, but that seems to be the way life goes.
 Somehow, for me, the scent of that Easter Lily brings comfort. 
I think it reminds me that despite the ebbs and flows, Easter is a time for celebration.

 The carrot cake is long gone.
My mom's recipe that never fails to get rave reviews.

  The Easter Lily served me well this year.
Despite a beautiful holiday celebrated with my family, an emotional roller coaster presented itself.  Calling my sister to wish her a Happy Easter was tough, but not calling wasn't an option.  Almost five years after her stroke, not much has changed and now she is experiencing nearly unbearable pain.  I sensed such weariness in her voice.  Although she still deals with aphasia, she is able to get out some words.  Pain and Shoulder came out mixed with a few tears.  When my brother-in-law explained to me more about the situation, he sounded upbeat yet I sensed the weariness.  Knowing that they are grieving the loss of their son on top of all of this I once again wonder how much can they take?
Hanging up the phone I felt such sadness for them and, to be honest, guilt for the many good things I had to look forward to on this day.  
Just before my guests arrived, I had a good cry, said a prayer for my sister and brother-in-law & thought about things I could do for them. Then it was time to pull myself together.  It may sound funny, but a sniff of the Easter Lily helped to remind me that life is constantly changing yet some things remain the same and at that emotional moment I found that to be so comforting.  
 


 After Easter the lilies find their way into my garden.

Wishing my dear blog friends a beautiful week.

Thank you for your visits here.




11 comments:

  1. It is hard, sometimes, but I am glad your lily helped clear your mind a bit. Your table looked lovely. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post, Kim. The senses are a wonderful thing. Blessings for the week ahead. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written, Kim. Scent can be so evocative. Memories rush in like a flood. I'm sorry to hear about your sister. It is puzzling why some suffer so much more than others. Your lily is gorgeous and I can just imagine the fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It breaks my heart....and I know how you feel. I have a family member that is suffering and when I call, it takes a lot out of me. I try to encourage but it's hard to know what to say. You just can't make it 'all better'. I pray a lot, too. Sending you lots of sweet hugs today, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you have many happy memories of Easter and the lily brings them all back.
    So sorry that Norma is in such pain. I still pray for her on my morning walks. Miracles happen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry your sister has so much pain and weariness in her life. I will say a prayer for her. I'm glad you had a nice Easter and that the scent of the lily recalled wonderful memories. Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I can smell your lily!
    Everything is so soft and pink! Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim,
    Your Easter lily is beautiful. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. When our loved ones are going through something, we can't help but feel the heaviness right along with them. Your carrot cake looks simply delicious, and I wish I had a piece to go with my coffee right now.

    I am wondering if your lily is still doing nicely after Easter. They always remind me of my niece, Lily. It's always lovely coming over here and visiting with you, Kim.

    love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kim,

    This is a very poignant post. I've read that the sense of smell is the strongest of our memory senses, and I do believe that. Certain smells for me always bring back memories of holidays and people. I'm so sorry your sister and brother-in-law are having such a difficult time. I know that's bound to weigh on your mind and heart. Your carrot cake looks delicious, and I'm sure that always reminds you of your mother, too.

    I hope you enjoyed the day with your family, Kim. Have a good weekend!

    Warm Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a few extra minutes on this lovely Saturday afternoon. I looked forward to my visit here on your blog and now I have the time. I read this post and felt the tears come for you. I cannot imagine what it is you deal with when you call or visit your dear sister. My heart felt sad with you as I read each word, and I understood the comfort that a gorgeous pure white lily would bring. Somehow smells from our childhood can do that for us. For me it is the Hyacinth flower that I receive each year. It never ceases to carry memories with it. You sure did a great job in drawing your readers into the thoughts of your heart, with this post.

    Your Mother's carrot cake looks so delicious! I would love a slice right now with my cup of hot mint tea.

    Hope you have an enjoyable weekend! Thanks so much for blogging! I always treasure my times here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My young mother is dead since the Easter of 2010 (69 years old). Easter is an emotional moment for me too... Life is life.

    AnneXX

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.