Monday, May 23, 2016

A Garden Tour

 
  Around here we've been checking things off the spring to do list.
The flowers and vegetables are now planted.
The porch and patio furniture scrubbed.
Driveway, sidewalks and porches have been power washed.
The shrubs have been pruned and the weeding is currently up-to-date.
It was with a great sense of satisfaction that we sat outside yesterday afternoon and just enjoyed the fruits of our labor.
While things are looking nice in the garden I thought I'd take you for a little tour, if you'd like to join me.


We'll start by walking down the garden path which takes us to the patio.  We'll tread lightly so we don't disturb the little fairy.
She's still in dreamland.



I want you to be comfortable, so please have a seat here on the love seat.  I'll be happy to bring you a cup of coffee or tea and you can relax while I show you around.  No need to even get up for this tour.



If you look diagonally from your seat you will see the pond and waterfall.  The sound is so relaxing on this beautiful morning.  There are goldfish living here, but they are kind of shy this morning.  We have also discovered many tadpoles this year.  This is only the second year that we've had the pond so we are making new discoveries all the time.
The water lilies are blooming nicely.
Over the weekend my husband added two more lily plants.  They are below the water surface, but in time will be just as big as this one.  Last year we had a problem with algae.  Now we are trying many things to avoid that issue.  The lilies will help to shade the water which should keep the algae from getting out of hand.




 Looking slightly to the left of the pond you can see the butterfly bushes I have planted in pots.  When the pond went in we had to sacrifice a couple of large butterfly bushes.  I replaced them with these which are supposed to stay small.  They are loaded with blooms and we enjoy watching the butterflies flutter around them as we relax on the patio.  You may have also noticed the hummingbird feeder.  It was placed where we could also see the hummers when they came to visit.  Oh look, here comes one now.

 I don't have the greatest zoom, but I think you can see him looking at us.


 The other day I put fresh nectar out for them.
I went in the house to put the remainder in the fridge and when I  came back out I had a little visitor sipping away.  I'm going to try hard to remember to refresh their food on a regular basis.  Seems like I always plan to do that and as the summer goes on I let it slide.

 We enjoy gardening and birdwatching too.
If you look straight across from where you are sitting, this will be your view.  A steady stream of songbirds coming to enjoy the breakfast buffet.

Continuing on with the tour, if you look across the backyard, there is another garden path leading to the walking trail which runs behind our house.  

The day lilies are just coming into bloom.
We have divided these several times and they reward us with pops of color all around the garden.


 The hydrangeas on either side of the arbor are also coming into bloom.  I love hydrangeas and have planted several varieties. I won't get into sharing them on this tour as this post is getting long enough.  Not to mention I just did a post on them which can be found here.


 When it comes to gardening, I could go on and on as it is something I am passionate about.
Don't worry though, I am going to wrap it up now.
Although there is one more thing I'd love to show you before I go.
My Blueberries!!  I have been trying to successfully grow them for years with no luck.  My three plants are small, but for the first time they have berries and one is even blue!  I'm so excited by this that I could shout it from the rooftops, but with my luck the birds would hear me and head over there for a feast.  So, instead I am quietly sharing it with you.  I finally grew blueberries.  Yippee!!!


Thank you for taking the time to tour the garden with me.

I'm linking this post to:





21 comments:

  1. Oh Kim, everything looks just beautiful! Your pond looks fantastic and I'm happy to see the water lilies blooming already. We just put 4 in our new pond on Saturday. The leaves have already risen to the surface. We read that if your pond is in full sun (ours is) you should have 50-70% coverage with plants to control algae. We'll see...our last pond was in the shade so this is a new experiment.

    I love your pathways and lush plantings. The arbor going out to the walking trails is beautiful too! So glad you joined the garden party and keep us posted on your pond so I can learn from you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous tour of your beautiful garden. I am loving the blooms and your pond. I have always wanted a pond and waterfall but am concerned about all the maintenance I would have to do to keep it looking nice. Things are just starting to burst open here in zone 5, so in about 2 more weeks I'll get to see some hydrangeas and peonies open up. I can't wait!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific tour. Your garden is amazing. Love all the little extra touches like the fairy--it makes the garden just come alive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your garden! I especially like the pathway lined with hydrangeas, it draws you in and makes you want to see more! I'm still waiting for my hummingbirds to return, so glad you are enjoying them already. What a beautiful landscape and garden you have created. I enjoyed my visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your garden! I especially like the pathway lined with hydrangeas, it draws you in and makes you want to see more! I'm still waiting for my hummingbirds to return, so glad you are enjoying them already. What a beautiful landscape and garden you have created. I enjoyed my visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for that beautiful tour of your garden. Everything looks wonderful.

    Speaking of hummingbirds, they sure let me know when their feeders are empty. I refill every other day.
    In the evening about 6 p.m.now there are about 20 hummers coming in for their nightly feeding. I could sit all day and watch them.

    Thanks again for your lovely garden tour.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so beautiful...can we have our afternoon tea there? I love your hydrangeas and sweet little hummer! Enjoy your afternoon! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, come on over and we'll have a tea party.

      Delete
  8. What a nice tour. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the tour of your lovely garden. Everything is so lush and green. I love Hydrangeas too and have a few different kinds. Congrats on your success with Blueberries. I think my SIL had to drape a netting over hers so the birds couldn't get at them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim, thank you for sharing your gorgeous garden. I'd love to sit and enjoy the beauty and the ambiance of your pond.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely garden tour. There are so many pretty flowers and plants in your yard. Hooray for the blueberries! Ours are starting to turn faintly pink so it will be a couple more weeks before we have any to eat. Enjoy that fat blueberry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tour of your beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sharing on Poofing the Pillows' Facebook page today, Kim. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kim, I love your garden and your pond is beautiful.
    I have a tiny one that needs re-working.
    Projects, projects, but that is what spring time is for.
    I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything is so beautiful! Such a lovely garden tour!
    Thanks so much for joining us at the Garden Party!
    Have a lovely week,
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kim, it's easy to see that you are passionate about gardening. I am right up there with you girl. Love your gorgeous pond and water lilies! We had a pond at our previous home but opted for just a pondless waterfall here. A lot less work and we aren't getting any younger. lol! I always wanted water lilies, but had a fetish about algae growing. We would put chemicals in it to keep it clean, so no lilies for me. :( Thanks so much for sharing with the Garden Party!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Kim, your garden is absolutely beautiful. I love it all. Love the water lilies. We'll have to get some for our water feature. So happy for you that you have blueberries. : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I love that pond! Thank you for being a lovely flower that joined our garden party.

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful! thanks for sharing!
    have a great holiday weekend!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, to live where it is so green! I love your gorgeous yard! My home is considered high-desert, so not many trees, unless we plant them. I do love the hummingbirds coming to visit. I bought the feeder you have last year, and it didn't seem to work - maybe I put it together wrong?? Your home is just perfectly lovely. I'd love to sit there and enjoy the relaxing greenery.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.