Monday, July 4, 2016

In My Little Corner of America

 Still in my pj's at 10:30 this morning staring at those last two brownies.
A happy reminder of our fast-paced, fun-filled Independence Day celebration.
Since our community fireworks display was being held on the 3rd, we decided to host the family gathering that day as well.
On this dark and overcast morning, I am enjoying the fact that today can be spent in a leisurely fashion.

  vintage treasures and garden daisies ~


 We took the boat out for the first time this season.
It was nice to drop the anchor, jump in the water and float in the lake for a few hours.  Nothing like catching up with family members while treading water and watching boats and clouds roll by.




 A few years ago I won this embroidered towel at the Habitat for Humanity monthly auction.  I later learned that it had been donated by a lady that I often see at the hair salon.  She was so excited to know that I had won it and shared the story of hanging it in the powder room of the summer home she once owned in Ohio.  She said she would put it there for the 4th of July and then the house would be filled with family and friends having fun together.  She is now in her 80s and no longer owns the summer home.
While I didn't hang it in my powder room, it felt good to know it's history and be able to incorporate it into my own family's memory making moments.


This was the only cherry pie to be found in my kitchen, but we did enjoy our fill of fresh Bing cherries.  One of my favorite summer fruits.
When storm clouds began forming, it was time to get back in the boat and head for home.  Burgers, brats and hot dogs were popped on the grill.  About the time they were done cooking, the rain started coming down and then sometime during dinner it quit.
 
 Although the rain seemed to have moved on by firework time, we threw some umbrellas in the car (just in case).  This turned out to be a good move as ten minutes before showtime raindrops began to fall lightly.  Half way through the show it was a downpour which left the umbrellas struggling mightily to keep up with the demand.  But, the show went on and the crowd hung in there through the fabulous grand finale.  As I looked around at my fellow Americans, we were all rather drenched yet still standing proudly in celebration of our great country.  Standing united despite the storm.  At a time when our country seems so divided, it was a beautiful sight to behold.
 
 ******




10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect day even if it did rain at times.
    What a great picture of the fireworks.
    Those brownies look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the rain showed up. I was surprised they kept the show going--good deal.
    Happy 4th

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about divided (sad face). It's good indeed to feel patriotic and appreciative. Taking the boat out sounds fun! Happy Monday, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking a cup of coffee and a brownie for breakfast sounds like a great way to celebrate. :) Sounds like you had a lovely holiday weekend. Sadly, the division is not just in the States, but all around the world. I'm afraid the chasm is becoming so great that it will never be repaired. Best wishes and blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. The vintage embroidered towel and the story behind it is lovely. Blessings to all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post! Unity is something most of us desire - it seems unattainable in UK at present.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I loved the imagery you shared in thay closing paragraph. And I rather like the idea of treading water and visiting, too. =D The brownies? They'd have been gone so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice post Kim. Wow, what will power to be taking a picture of the brownies and not eating them...I'm not sure I would be doing the same LOL
    Sounds like you had a good day even with the rain.
    Take care
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderfully festive!! And I REALLY want some of that cake :)

    I wish you a wonderful start into the new week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to spend the holiday. I love the story of the embroidered towel.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.