Monday, August 14, 2017

Timeless Lessons


Last Thursday was a big day in his little life.
His first day of preschool.
We, as the grandparents, could hardly wait to hear how he would like it.
We were delighted to receive a photo of him all dressed and ready for his new adventure.
As I looked at him standing up so straight and tall smiling so big, I couldn't help but be excited for him.  At the same time the thought went through my mind that I hope his school years will always be happy ones.  I felt that familiar protective mother instinct, yet it seemed more pronounced than I remember it being when my own boys were off to school for the first time.
Perhaps those of you who have been down this road can tell me whether our protective feelings become even stronger when it comes to the grandchildren.


While looking at a video my son sent of Jaxson singing a little song he learned at school, the news of the violent protests in Charlottesville, Virginia came on the television.
My heart sank, my bubble burst and my fears for the future of our children and grandchildren became a bit heightened.
At times like this, things can feel rather hopeless.
I find I can only watch it for so long and then it's time to switch it off.  It may be switched off, but the image of that car slamming into the crowd of people is something that can't be unseen.  It stayed with me and made me wonder what happens to people that makes them that filled with hatred?


I don't pretend to have the answers, yet I find it deeply concerning how hatred and a lack of basic respect seem to be evident so often now, particularly online.  Frankly I am shocked at some of the comments people leave or in the ways they talk to one another.  We certainly don't all have to agree with each other but I think there is something to be said for "if you don't have anything nice to say...."

Sometimes when I want to be reminded of a kinder, gentler time I head for my vintage children's book collection.
This particular book dates back to 1943.
Some might think the information to be out-of-date.


I tend to disagree.
Instead I find it filled with timeless life lessons as well as charming illustrations.
As another school year gets underway, let's help them learn love and acceptance along with reading, writing and arithmetic.



6 comments:

  1. Your words are beautiful and thoughtful, Kim. We've been away, out of reach of media access, and I was horrified to hear about what went on in your country. Truly, kindness, and the words you've included from your vintage books, are what the world sorely lacks.
    The state of the world these days makes me pray for my grandchildren even more fervently. Who knows what they will face in their future? Teaching them love and acceptance, and the ability to disagree politely, are life lessons every child should learn.
    Your Jaxson is a cutie heading out for his first day of preschool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim I was born in 1943 and now know that for many years after WW2, even though money was short for anything other than necessities, and life in England was not easy with food rationed, jobs hard to find, only the basics in school (but the best teachers) etc., we did have wonderful family togetherness. People were just thankful to be alive and still have their country and freedom - nobody I'm sure would be out planning to kill their fellow countrymen and wreak havoc on the innocent.
    I wish your handsome little Jaxson, and all the children starting school in the next couple of weeks, a safe and happy life with school days full of learning and fun, new friendships, and education which teaches respect, dignity and love - things which should of course start and continue at home!

    Your illustrations from the vintage book are truly beautiful - I will come back to look at them often as I can't bring myself t watch TV news any longer!.

    Hugs - stay cool in this very humid weather!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your grandson is absolutely precious. I don't watch the news on TV - it's too negative and disturbing. Like you said, those images stay with you a long time. I much prefer the gentle images from the children's book that you showed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We raised 3 sons ( and 2 daughters) and although I worried about them and prayed for them, the protectiveness I feel for my little grandson is far stronger. Maybe it's the world we live in that is so much scarier. Maybe it's because I see now how little control we have over the influences on our kids once they're out in the world.

    I also look to old books and children's books for comfort when I feel overwhelmed. Are you a fan of the "Miss Read" books by any chance? How about Gladys Taber?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny Marigold,
      Yes and yes. I have collections of Miss Read and Gladys Taber. Maybe I should round them up and work them into a post. Do you collect them too?

      Delete
  5. Great post Kim!! I don't think kindness, caring or having respect for others will ever be out of date.
    The vintage illustrations are wonderful.
    Wow Jaxson headed off to school - he has gotten so big!! I pray his school days are happy and safe!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.