Monday, August 22, 2022

Chit Chat



Since returning home from vacation we have enjoyed some downright delightful summer days.  Lower temperatures accompanied by low humidity is almost unheard of for August in these parts.  Consequently, we have been enjoying being outdoors every chance we get.  The hummingbirds have been providing great entertainment.  The solar hummingbird lights pictured above were a gift from our Florida kids.  They bring a touch of magic to the evenings as the lights change colors.




Since returning from vacation we've also been busy.  Very busy.
One of the things keeping me busy was putting together a little ladies night get-together for some neighbors.  I had so much fun getting ready for it and thought it might make good blog fodder.  Since I only took one photo of the dessert plate, there went that idea.
The days leading up to the event became a bit hectic when the refrigerator decided to "go on the fritz".  Luckily we have an older fridge in the garage so everything got crammed in there.
The repairman has assessed several problems that will cost $900 to fix.  I guess I will be dating myself to say that I am a bit shocked at this for a refrigerator that is only 4 years old.  To further date myself I will tell the story of the fridge we left behind in our Michigan house.  It was over 40 years old at the time and still plugging along with no issues.  True the ice box was smaller than our microwave and had to be defrosted, but it did the job without ever requiring repairs.
I guess in our current times I am just glad the parts are available and the repairman will be back tomorrow to do the job.


While in Florida, Amber familiarized me with the air fryer.
I have been curious about them, but unsure if we would use it enough to make it worthwhile.  Brett became intrigued and ordered one.  Last night we gave it a trial run.  Happy to say that we successfully made roasted potatoes and Garlic & Herb Chicken Skewers.  These were recipes from the book that came with it.  Both turned out well and tasted delicious.  I've noted a few other recipes that I plan to try soon.  If you use an air fryer, I'd be curious to know what you like to make in it.  Now that it's just the two of us most nights, I can see how this could be better than heating the oven for certain things.  The clean up was simple too which is nice.

This is shaping up to be another busy week around here.
Wednesday will be a concert of the Liverpool Legends (Beatles tribute band), boating on Friday and then a neighbor's 50th anniversary gathering on Sunday.  All happy things as the summer season begins to wane.


Hope your week is a good one.


                                                                     

9 comments:

  1. The hummingbird solar lights are so nice.
    Those cupcakes look delicious.
    Appliances just don't last like they used to!!!
    Oh I love our air fryer and we use it often. The thing we make most often are real French fries. Also make chicken.
    Iv'e tried a dessert but it didn't turn out so great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the sounds of the french fries. I do love them, but always feel guilty when I eat them. This sounds like a good way to banish the guilt. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  2. Love those hummingbird solar lights.

    Your dessert plate...are those cupcakes or brownies? Either way, they look delicious.

    Oh my gosh, that is a ridiculous repair price for a 4-year old refrigerator! You are not dating yourself. That is crazy. I would just buy a new fridge at that point, but definitely not that brand again!

    It's just the two of us now, too and I have no desire for an air fryer. To me, it's just another gadget I'd have to store in the basement because there's no room in the kitchen. I have a toaster oven, that's good enough. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are called brownie cupcakes. I made them in mini muffin tins to make them a daintier size for the ladies :). They are delicious with the dollop of cream cheese frosting with fresh raspberries mixed in. I have also made them with strawberries.

      Delete
  3. Chuckling here at your attempt to gather blog fodder. Sometimes friendships of the real kind are so much more important than the cyber kind.

    Have never seen anything like the hummingbird mobile...so pretty.

    Yes, appliances are nothing to cheer about these days. So sorry that you have had troubles. Did you consider purchasing a new one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We briefly considered it. To get a similar model would be 3 times more than the repair cost. Hopefully the repairs will take care of the problem, although having so many issues already makes me a bit leery of what the future holds. :/

      Delete
  4. Having major problems after only 4 years would not please me that's for sure. Our fridge in the kitchen is about 16 years old and never has had a problem. The old one in the buttery is ancient and is not frost free but it just keeps on and on., I think the one problem it has is that the absolute "warmest" temp it has is still very cold and some things can get a bit frosty.
    I'm still getting used to doing things in the air fryer. DH mostly uses the George Foreman grill for his meat so he doesn't see the reason for using the air fryer. We do french fries and also rewarm leftovers which taste so much better than heating them in the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately our August has been nothing but super hot and either very humid or dusty. I'm looking forward to a change in the weather over the next month or two. I always have grand plans for my days and for blogging but more often than not, I wind up doing a whole lot of nothing except trying to stay cool. They sure don't make anything like they used to -- we've had to replace a few refrigerators. My husband had to do it one summer when I was away and he said he spent an hour transferring our travel magnets from the old fridge to the new one. HA! He loves to tell that story to everyone. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry about the refrigerator issues. It has been so hot and humid here in SC, I just can't stand it! I love my air fryer. I make so many things in it. I do veggies, meat, fries, warm up pizza, etc., etc. It is so easy especially that I am living alone. Just make sure if you make a sandwich or burger with the roll, put a skewer through it so the top doesn't go flying off. It hasn't happened to me but others have said it does that! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.