Monday, March 2, 2009

In Like a Lion

March came in like a lion yesterday!!
From morning til early evening the rain poured and the winds howled.
The weatherman warned that at some point in the day the rain would instantly change to . . .

SNOW!!!
His prediction was 5-8 inches.


He also used a term I had never heard before - thunder snow.
I learned that when the snow began falling it would be fast and furious just like rain does in a thunderstorm.

Right about the time the rain gave way to "thunder snow" we did hear a few rumbles of thunder.




My sister is coming in from Michigan tomorrow. I had really hoped she could see my pansies and daffodils. Yesterday these pots were sporting big purple pansies.




We don't get many snowfalls here, so when we do it is a big event. The entire content of the local news yesterday was about the big storm that was running up the Eastern Seaboard. When the big, beautiful flakes started falling I had to resist the urge to run up to the attic and get my Christmas tree out again. I also wanted to string some colored lights on the shrubs as I think snow covered lights is one of the most beautiful sights.







I'm not sure if we got 5 inches and I know we didn't get 8 inches. However, nature's beauty outside my window today is something I will enjoy as I put the finishing touches on the guest room, make a big pot of soup, some brownies and homemade bread.




The sun is shining, the sky is blue and the weatherman is predicting mid 60s by Friday.
*****
Blogger won't let me change the text size. Is anybody else having that problem? Any suggestions??





12 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog this morning. I am anxiously awaiting the thaw- although this looks pretty, I have had my fill!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got some pretty snow, too! But the wind is howling and it is bitterly cold this morning. I bundled up and took a few more pics. Hope you have a nice 'snow day'!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, As I sit here at my computer this morning, and just finished visiting your wintery blog...I look out of the window to somewhat blizzard type conditions. "In like a lion"...is what we are facing also. I should be showing the same picture you did. Spring is coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to come visit my blog! We have the exact same post! Only the sun is not shining yet here in my area of North Carolina yet.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. We got it too. I have not seen this much snow in SC in the 15 yrs. we have been here. Never snow in March either. Everthing is closed and we're staying warm and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are getting your snow today. It's just about stopped now. I am so tired of winter and long for warm spring days.

    I bet your kitchen smells good.
    Mine does too, I'm making brownies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim ~ we got more snow here in Wisconsin today too. I'm so done with winter..I want to see green grass again!

    Have a great week!
    Hugz,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kim,
    Great minds do think alike! You got alot more snow than we did, we got an inch or two.

    Enjoy the time with your sister!
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm seeing a lot of lions out there in bloggyland! Your snow is pretty as a picture...but I know spring will be very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not even think about this until I read your blog but our March came in like a lamb. Oh well, that means the weather will probably turn. Spring is here and the storks have returned to Holland. They are nesting. :)

    Hugs ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pics of snow are sooo pretty, but I have to admit...I'm sooo tired of snow! Don't you love the unpredictability of March?

    Have a wonderful time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kim
    That snow was a bit of a shock wasn't it, but pretty while it lasted.
    Rhondi xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.