Thursday, December 3, 2015

Monthly Motivation - A Great Gift

 Back here I shared with you my motivation for getting serious about regular exercise.
I'm pleased to report that since that time I have been successful at making exercise a top priority.  I strive for 4 workouts per week. 
The other day while following along with the DVD, the instructor made a simple statement that really hit home with me.
She said "it's a great gift to move your body."  See what I mean, simple.  Although as I thought about it I really appreciated her words in a way I might not have several years ago.
Recently while visiting my father-in-law we were shocked by the physical change in him.  It had been awhile since we last saw him and at that time he was noticing some mysterious changes to his health.  Now watching him shuffle very slowly with his walker I could only think how frustrating this must be for a man who once ran a company and traveled the world.  I'm sure the greatest gift he could receive would be the gift of moving his body the way he once did.  
I also think of my sister.  In the blink of an eye a stroke took away the ability to move one side of her body.  I know, without a doubt, she would consider it a very great gift to be able to move her body once again.

Even though I have now made exercise a priority, I sometimes find I need a boost to my motivation level.
That simple thought... it's a great gift to move your body... is all it takes to put things into perspective for me.  It's kind of become my mantra. 

As we enter into the gift giving season I thought I'd share this thought with you.  Perhaps in this busy season it will provide just the motivation you might be looking for.
A great gift to give yourself.




8 comments:

  1. What a great post and so timely. Exercise and taking care of our health must be one of our highest priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a thought-provoking post, Kim. My workouts have fallen by the wayside as busy days pile up onto each other. It is a gift to move our bodies. And I also think it's a gift TO our bodies if we take the time to move them. Good for you for keeping up with your routine.

    In answer to your question - I freeze all of my baking in tins. When I want to serve some, I'll take my serving plate to the freezer and prepare an assortment there. They take just a few moments to thaw and taste fresh. I've done this for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said!! I think exercise is the key to staying healthy.
    Good for you for starting and sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such simple words with a powerful punch. Glad that they are keeping you on track. You're my inspiration. You and that chick just ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It IS a great gift! We don't want "chair bods" when we can have mobile muscles that can still get around. I'm thankful. Good for you, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this !
    Blessings
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have started doing chair yoga several times a week. I love it. It is a gift to be able to go to these chuches and partake for a nominal fee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm nodding over here! What a great gift indeed. I attend a fitness class several times each week...and try to walk a few miles each day.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.