Monday, June 18, 2018

Post Vacation Garden Notes



Shortly before last week's vacation I snapped a picture in the side garden.  At that time the hostas and coreopsis were filling in nicely along the trail.  The hydrangeas were coming into bloom with the promise of their best show since planting them a few years ago.


While checking out post vacation progress this morning, I see that the hydrangeas and coreopsis are happily pulling a disappearing act on the stepping stones.

Shown from the opposite end of the trail.

The watering can that was hanging above the plant is now being swallowed up by it.  Yikes!  Looks like it's time to reposition the watering can or prune the plant.  Perhaps both.

Another hydrangea along the trail.
This one is also growing profusely and encroaching onto the stepping stones.  I'm content to bypass the path for awhile to enjoy the beauty.

I'm happy to see the purple coneflowers popping out.  They perform really well here which is something I need to remember for my next garden.  Our next garden will be teeny tiny so I am trying to stick to the plants that perform the best.

Our temperatures are supposed to be in the mid 90s for the next few days.  Laundry, closet cleaning and a bit of reading are scheduled for today.  I should pay a visit to the grocery store, but don't really feel like it.  Surprisingly my garden provided enough greens to fix a little salad for lunch or dinner.  I planted the lettuce from seed a little late in the season and was beginning to think there would be no harvest before the heat set in.  

Our travels took us through Georgia where a produce stand was set up right beside the gas station.  While he filled up the tank, I selected a pair of tomatoes and a small basket of fresh peaches.  I hope they taste as good as they smell.  I'm thinking it might be time to take that frozen pie crust out of the freezer and whip up a peach pie.  Come to think of it maybe those tomatoes could pair with the lettuce and the bacon in the freezer to whip up a BLT for dinner.
Now that that's settled it looks like I can postpone a grocery trip for another day or two ;).






13 comments:

  1. Oh wow Kim! Your garden is so fabulous - those purple hydrangeas, the coreopsis and coneflowers - you should have bees and butterflies galore! Just gorgeous - how will you be able to leave!

    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I will admit to having moments of wondering whether we are doing the right thing. However, a more manageable sized yard is becoming more and more appealing. I hope to have at least a little room to toil in the soil.

      Delete
  2. Your flowers are so lush and absolutely crammed with blooms! It all looks so lovely!
    As do those peaches. I can hardly wait until they reach our stores here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Granny Marigold. I know you will make delicious treats when your fresh peaches become available.

      Delete
  3. Hope that BLT was delicious. Nothing like fresh produce. Oh my, Kim! Your garden with all those hydrangeas is gorgeous! Who cares if they take over?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Your plants are loving the weather! Hydrangeas are my favorite flower....but you probably remember that I always say that! heehee! Would love some really good peaches! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden looks fabulous. I wouldn't worry about not being able to see the stepping stones either.
    Cone flowers do very well here by me too and mine are ready to pop out any day now. So far just two are blooming.
    We love BLT's and I'm sure you enjoyed it with the fresh tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi what a beautiful yard. I just read your comment on my blog post. Congratulations on purchasing your new home. Be ready to have to make lots of decisions all at once. I am not sure how it will work in your area but in a matter of day everything had to be chosen and a lot of what I wanted just happened to be an upgrade so that was a bit of surprise to us and our budget, if you know what I mean, but we are thrilled with our home and community. Best of luck on your journey and thank you for reading and commenting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is looking so gorgeous and green and full! Everything here is so dusty. A friend in Colorado sent me coneflower seeds years ago and I've yet to try and plant them. I should do that for the next growing season. First I gotta find the seeds :/ I do love me a tomato sandwich (sans bacon). I'm always trying to make meals with what I've got on hand without always running to the grocery store for more.
    Sounds like you've got your food sorted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Kim, I think you know how much I admire your garden. It certainly does not disappoint again this year! However, it is a huge space and I'm sure your new "little garden" will be gorgeous too.
    Have a great day
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my gosh...your side garden is gorgeous! Those hydrangeas are amazing.

    I hate running to the grocery store, too. Seems I do it more often than not. BLT's are one of my favorite quick and easy go-to's for lunch or dinner, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your garden is gorgeous, and if that's just a little bit of it, I can understand why you want to downsize a bit. Still, those hydrangeas!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite sandwich: garden fresh lettuce & tomato with mayo (no bacon)! Your garden flowers are breathtaking! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.