Sunday, November 3, 2019

Fall Preparations

 
There's nothing quite like the cooler fall temperatures to get me inspired to get things done.  First off was the closet.  One afternoon I spent several hours shifting my wardrobe from summer to fall/winter.  It was nice to have the time to address each item in there.  A few bags went to the thrift shop.  Summer clothes were washed (if necessary), shoes were dusted or wiped down, and things were tried on to assess whether the item was really comfortable and was something I was likely to wear.

 Our local extension agent put on a presentation for the garden club reminding us of what we should be doing in our gardens for the fall season.

 I went right home and got to work on his suggestions.

While planting my tulips I glanced down the side of the house looking toward the backyard and noticed the lilac Encore Azaleas blooming away.  Just beyond them a bit of fall color appears in the woods.

 Next it was time to put out another bird feeder.
🎜 feed the birds tuppence a bag
tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag
"feed the birds" that's what she cries
while overhead, her birds fill the skies 🎜

This one I filled with safflower seeds.  The extension agent said that squirrels don't like them.  Although, oddly enough we haven't had a problem with squirrels in this house.  Maybe they prefer to hang out in the woods.  Not sure, but I'm not complaining. 

 After getting the bird feeders filled I sat a minute and took in the leaf situation.  Before they all fall down, it's imperative to take in the color change from day to day.

 During the football game last weekend I sifted through a growing magazine pile.
I tore out a few interesting recipes and am pleased to say I even tried one of them ;D.

 In this case it was a Rachel Ray recipe for oatmeal made with apple cider.  Sauteed apples and toasted pecans topped it off and we both gave it two thumbs up!!


Another blanket was added to the bed.
At the end of the evening I can be found under those blankets with a book.  Incidentally, I am finding this one to be very engrossing.



6 comments:

  1. Oatmeal made with apple cider and served with sauteed apples? Sounds like my kind of lunch. I'm not up to oatmeal ( or anything but a small piece of toast) first thing in the morning. Instead I eat cereal for lunch. It may be strange but it suits me.
    Your closet is so neat and tidy! I love organizing and you've inspired me to give my closet a good tidying this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...The Great Alone... Lovely color arriving there daily! Keep taking pictures. I have such a problem with squirrels that I gave up on the birds long ago. Glad that you have learned a way to feed the birds. I know that I shouldn’t be jealous, but your closet is beautiful and so organized with places for every single thing. < insert *swoon* > Shifting the wardrobe around is quite the chore and one well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice neat and tidy looking closet. Such a good feeling to get a closet cleaned up.
    Fall colors are looking pretty. All the leaves have left the trees here.
    I can't have bird feeders here because they attract the bears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm envious of those built-ins in your closet! Your oatmeal looks delish. I recently happened upon a baked oatmeal recipe that has apples, raisins, shredded carrot, and unsweetened coconut in it. Tastes like a morning glory muffin. I need to put my bird feeders back out for the season. Have it on my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, I love your closet organizing! I did a little to mine. Got to get ready for those cold days ahead. It was 34 degrees when I got up this morning. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been meaning to sort my closet. I think I have more than I need. Your leaves are lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.