Friday, November 8, 2019

Indoor Gardening ~ The Meyer Lemon Tree

 Last spring I picked up a Meyer Lemon tree at the local garden center.  At the time it might have been a foot tall. Rather puny for the price.  I located it in a sunny spot on the patio and made sure it received adequate water throughout our long, hot summer.  It thrived out there and doubled, if not tripled, in size.
With the prospect of frost on the horizon, it was time to find a new home for it.  So, I hosed it off and gave it a thorough spray with insecticidal soap in an attempt to keep any creepy crawlers from coming in with it.
Next I located the sunniest window in the house and moved it to it's winter digs.

 Here it is near the bedroom window.
My new routine includes getting those shades up as soon as the sun shines in this direction.  Most mornings I give it a light misting of water to provide it with the humidity it likes.  While misting away I check it over to see if I see any cobwebs or bugs.
I'm hoping to keep it thriving inside until next spring when it can return to it's outdoor home.

Currently it looks content in it's new home.
The leaves are big and glossy green.
This isn't the first time I've overwintered a lemon tree.
You can read about the last attempt here.  That time it was covered in buds and I was pondering the right fertilizer for it.  I went to the garden center and asked for a recommendation.  They sent me on my way with citrus spikes.  Not long after popping the spike in the soil the plant turned brown and died.  In hindsight that spike was way too big for the potted plant.  It was better suited for an inground tree.  I tried taking the spike out and babying it but the damage was done.  RIP!  :/
After nurturing the plant along I had such high hopes for that first lemon. :(  Not to mention I felt so guilty for ending it's life like that.

So, this time I am determined to meet with success.
Because they do need fertilizer to produce those luscious lemons, I went to a different garden center and found this granular version.  Now I can have better control over how much it receives at each feeding.
I also found this fantastic article on the subject.  I am trying to follow her advice to a tee.
I'll keep you posted.  If you don't hear more about it, it might be best not to ask ;).
My fingers are crossed for lemon bars and lemonade next summer.

🍋🍋🍋

Please chime in if you have any experience with this topic.
Any advice is welcome.

Have a wonderful weekend.


















6 comments:

  1. Your lemon tree is looking fine indeed!! Hope it yields plenty of lemons for you one day.
    I have no experience at all growing lemon trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks happy and I wish you all the best. I have no experience with lemon trees indoors or out. My niece has a rather large one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm no help at all but I do hope you have success with your lemon tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the lemon tree, Kim. I love your bedroom setting. I'd wake up every morning and just lie there and enjoy the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, that header picture is gorgeous. Those colors are amazing! Your lemon tree is so pretty. It sure looks healthy and happy. I hope it stays that way through the winter. Looks like you have the perfect spot for it. I would give anything, well almost, for sunny window like that. Log homes can be dark, especially small ones like ours. Enjoyed this post. Don't know how I've been missing your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh great, I hope it survives this time Kim - sounds like you've learnt what it requires to remain healthy through the winter.
    Your room is so pretty and the wooded view lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.