Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Sprucing Up The Pantry

If this were a true before & after post there would be a before picture.
Since this is more of a still rising out of the slump post, we begin with the second step in the process.
It all began over a year ago before moving into the house.
We hired a closet design company to remove the standard wire shelving in the pantry and replace it with sturdier wooden (particle board?) shelves.  The only problem was after taking care of that we were left with white spots of spackle everywhere the wire shelving used to be.
It became one of those jobs that we would get to someday.  Not a high priority as it was just the pantry with a door that closed to hide the flaws.



This past weekend we decided to tackle the project.
Of course that meant emptying the contents onto the kitchen counters.  That was a good time to take inventory of things that needed to be used up.



While Brett was busy pushing the paintbrush I decided to use up some of the canned pumpkin.  I keep reading about the many health benefits pumpkin has to offer and figured it would be better in our bodies than languishing on the pantry shelves.

Once the painting was complete I decided it was a good time to give the floor a good wash.  I also spent a little time on Pinterest checking to see if there was a better way to organize it.
Egad!  There were lots of magazine worthy pantries, but really...
is it necessary to go out and purchase a bunch of matching bins and baskets and create cute little labels?  For me, personally, the answer is NO.  Honestly I do enjoy looking at what people pin and share on IG and YouTube too.  There is a lot if inspiration to be found, but at the same time it often reminds me of one big popularity contest.  Anyhoo… I'll step off of my soapbox to say that after that search I was convinced the way I had it previously was working just fine.




It works for us and that's what really matters, after all.








6 comments:

  1. I like your pantry...neat, tidy, organized...what’s not to love? I can tell that you are growing a bit disenchanted with Blogdom and all its various subsidiaries. Maybe that’s my problem. 🤦🏻‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pantries - we have just created one in our house and I love it - in fact you have reminded me that I need to get on and take photos and do the post I promised ages ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so envious (in a good way!) of your pantry! That's one thing my kitchen lacks. I have to keep the overabundance of pantry items on metal shelving in my basement. I know...at least I have a basement where I can do this. But it'd be a lot nicer if I had a pantry right here in the kitchen where I could keep everything. I agree with you that matching baskets in a pantry aren't necessary. Your pantry shelves are nice and neat as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new and improved pantry looks great. Everything right where you can see it instead of hidden in matching bins or baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally with you girl, agree 100%! I see all these amazing and cute organized pantries but in the end... that would be more of a hassle than it's worth. I know it would drive my family crazy because they wouldn't be able to just reach in and get what they need. Also it would drive me crazy because I already know they wouldn't take the time to read the labels and would have my neatly organized baskets a mess, LOL!

    I love your pantry! It's huge, well-lit, and you can see everything you have just like it is. It's always nice to mark a project off the list, huh? Congrats! =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new pantry looks great, Kim, a reminder that I might need to redo mine, I agree with your thoughts about being like others, I too enjoy seeing what others do, and I do get a lot of inspiration, but I know my limits. Thanks for sharing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.