Thursday, April 9, 2020

The Week Before Easter

 Our days at home have been arranged to include time on the patio at the end of the work day.  We've watched the trees go from their winter dormancy to that glorious light green that looks especially lovely with the blue sky forming the background.
Birds are chirping and travelling in pairs.  Love is in the air.
At times I envy them for going about their business without the cloud of a pandemic hanging over their heads.

 Speaking of clouds, they were fantastically fluffy last night.

 Like many of you I have been working at using things in the pantry, fridge and freezer before resorting to a grocery expedition.
I do have a habit of not finishing the jar of yeast before the expiration date as evidenced by the above photo :(.
Now, I do know that there is a way to test your yeast to see if it's still active.  Not wanting to bother figuring that out I decided to just try making a loaf of bread yesterday.  I figured the finished product would answer the question for me.
To rise or not to rise... that is the question :).

 I'm thinking the result proves the yeast is still active.
For all of you who bake beautiful loaves, I know it isn't the prettiest.  A bit lopsided.  Ha!!
The important thing is that it tasted good as my morning toast.
So, it looks like I will be pumping out bread and rolls until that yeast is gone.

 Yesterday our temps reached 85 degrees which is warm even for us.  I was hoping to be able to cut a bouquet of tulips for the Easter table.  Looks like that won't be happening as they are now just about done.  Glad I had a little photo session last weekend when they were looking their best.



When I look down the side of the house I noticed the azaleas blooming just past the tulips.  I can just picture the Easter Bunny hopping down the trail.  Word has it that he is an essential worker this year.  ; D.

🌷🌷🌷


I do hope that you are all staying well and managing to keep your spirits up.  

If you will be celebrating Easter I'd be interested to know what you've got planned.  We've decided to support our neighborhood restaurant.  They are offering a complete dinner as take-out.  On the menu is:
  • Turkey with Gravy
  • Ham with Pineapple Chutney
  • Sweet Potato Souffle
  • Broccoli Casserole
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Dinner Rolls
  • House Salad with Choice of Dressing
  • No-Bake Cherry Yum Yum
Sounds good to me plus it serves 4 so there will be leftovers.



13 comments:

  1. The tulips are gorgeous! Every year I say I am going to plant them and never do. Beautiful photos. Livened up my spirits! Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is so pretty...what a great variety of tulips. Would you believe that all our snow is gone except now it's snowing again and there are rumors of 6 to 8 inches. Ugh. Oh well, it can't last.

    That take-out Easter meal sounds delicious. It will be great to just enjoy the meal without having to prepare it.

    A blessed Easter to you and yours...take pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I hope the rumored amount doesn't come to fruition.

      Delete
  3. Cherry Yum Yum sounds fun! I love your tulips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun name, isn't it? I'm told it will be similar to cheesecake.

      Delete
  4. Your tulips are gorgeous. Now I'm sorry I never planted any in the fall. I WILL this year!!
    We will watch our church service live on FB on Easter like we've been doing every Sunday and Wednesday.
    No special meal here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tulips are so colorful and we all need something cheery in our lives. Our tulips are already gone... well, I think they are. I haven't been out of my apartment complex in over 3 weeks. My kids want me to stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are ALL in love with your tulips! WOW! They are gorgeous and just in time too. Love the photo of the clouds too. Take care and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep yeast in the freezer as I buy it in bulk. As needed, I refill my jar (that I keep in the fridge) from the package in the freezer. I've never had a problem with it going bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know. Thanks for sharing. I will be freezing it from now on.

      Delete
  8. I love your tulips but it's too bad that they don't last long when the temperatures rise.
    I baked Paska today ( Easter bread) and will share with the kids and grands but we won't be eating it all together and that makes me sad. I just want this nightmare to be over.
    Cherry Yum Yum? I hope it's delicious ( the rest of the meal too).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been curious about Paska since I saw the Mennonite Girls Can Cook make it. I was unfamiliar with it before then. I really should try it myself. It is so sad that your family can't be together to enjoy it. I am hoping and praying that if we all continue to do what is necessary the nightmare will end sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That loaf looks really nice - guess your yeast will keep you busy for a while. I'm still baking bread, muffins and biscuits often - have a freezer full now!
    I will grill salmon for our dinner - with salad - and strawberry shortcake! Hoping it will be dry out on Sunday for a long, quiet walk.
    Have a beautiful Easter Kim.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.