Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Shade Gardening While Wishing for Sun



A few weeks ago we donned our masks and headed to the local garden center.  Normally I would enjoy spending hours looking at everything and formulating new ideas for my garden.  This time it felt more like a time to keep my distance from people, find a few plants and get out of there.  So, I concentrated on picking up a few things to liven up the patio as this is where we often spend time when we are outside.  Because the patio is covered, I was on the hunt for shade loving plants that would also offer color.
Coleus and impatiens to the rescue!



The patio at our last house was in full sun so my containers were always filled with sun loving plants.
I haven't used coleus before, but as I looked at what came home with me, I had fun matching the impatiens to the coordinating coleus.  While potting them, I gained a new appreciation for the beauty of the coleus colors and patterns.  They almost look like they have been hand painted.

Since I know this isn't the year I will be making my normal weekly trips to the garden center, I pulled out the pots I had stashed in the garage and filled them up to tuck here and there. 



These will look nicer when they fill in.
For now they are providing that pop of color sorely lacking from our gloomy, rainy weather.  It rained all last week and is forecast to rain all this week.
Rain Rain Go Away!!

☔⛈⛆☔

How's the weather in your area?




8 comments:

  1. I've got Coleus on our shady porch too. They're so faithful and always grow for me. I also bought Begonias again which was not smart because I can't seem to keep them alive.
    You have such pretty pots and I like your ornamental church birdhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A rainy day here and there is welcome. Rainy days without end are not. Your choices in colors looks great. I have always like coleuses. They look elegant and Victorian somehow. So what are you reading to while away these days of rain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are getting rain, too. Makes it difficult to keep a smile on your face when the skies are so dreary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rain here too. Supposedly two more days after today. That pot of Coleus and Impatiens is beautiful. I haven't bought Coleus in several years. Had forgotten how pretty they are. We have too much shade here so Coleus would fit right in. Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pots look nice and your flowers will love all the rain! We've had hot temps and a few afternoon showers. Everything looks so pretty and green. I've been wanting to get a couple of hanging baskets of flowers but haven't been out to shop....yet! Take care! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so many beautiful plants and the look great how you have put in the pots.
    I feel the same way as you visiting the garden center!!
    The rain will be great for your plants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been enthusiastic about going to the garden centers this year either, because of having to wear masks and keep the social distancing and being in a rush. It's just not pleasant anymore. I need some more flowers though, so soon I'm going to have to suck it up and just do it. I love coleus. Wait until you see how big it gets! We planted it in a shady area of our house, between some hostas and ferns.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.