Wednesday, July 15, 2020

First Tomatoes and More Butterflies


More than ever it's been the simple things that have been adding a bit of interest to day after day of staying home.
Watching and waiting for that first tomato to ripen has been one of the recent highlights.


 This week there were enough to put to good use.


Underneath all of those chopped veggies there are meatballs with rice in them.  The veggies cooked down to a nice fresh tasting sauce.  Garlic and basil added wonderful flavor.  Best of all it will provide several meals for the two of us, which is nice because it's hotter than blazes around here.  Not the kind of weather one wants to be slaving over a hot stove in.

 Although, I will brave the heat to chase the butterflies.
πŸ¦‹


 I've had several different butterfly bushes in the past 20 years.
All of them put together never drew the variety that we have been seeing on this one patio plant.

 These were just a sampling of this week's visitors.
Hummingbird moths, bumblebees and even a hummingbird have also been seen.

 Some of them are camera shy.
Others are happy to pose and share their unique beauty.
Thank you, madame butterfly :).



Most evenings we enjoy a cool drink on the patio.
Last night these three entertained us.
There is something very relaxing about watching butterflies glide through the air.
While not trying to sound like a butterfly bush advertisement, I can highly recommend this Pugster Blue Buddleia if you are looking to draw butterflies to your garden.



I first learned about them here.  Amazing, eh?
Laura has a wonderful YouTube channel called How's It Growing.  If you're not familiar, it can be found here.  

In other news, I am finally watching The Crown!
It seems like I've been seeing recommendations for this series for years (?)  I don't know why it's taken me so long to get onboard.  Last night I had to force myself to only watch 2 episodes.  Love it!!

Until next time,


9 comments:

  1. Hi Kim! I love The Crown, too!
    Wow! Those butterflies are LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tomatoes look lovely and so does your supper. I know what you mean about making enough for a second meal. Cooking is harder when it's hot. My first sowing of lettuce is bitter now but the second sowing is almost ready for picking. I find the store-bought lettuce is too old and I won't bother buying it.
    Have a good second-half of July!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am glad that you have found fun things to watch: πŸ¦‹ butterflies πŸ¦‹ and The Crown πŸ‘‘. I may have to look into this amazing plant of yours. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely looks like the butterflies are enjoying your new plant. You got some nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Butterflies can be challenging to photograph! What beautiful photos you've taken. You have some wonderful flowers to attract them too. Love the pretty frame you used too. I'm having fun playing with photos this week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tomatoes look delicious.
    That bush sure draws lots of butterflies. I should get one of them.
    Will have to check out the Crown. I've never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your photo's of the butterflies. We don't see too many here; guess I need to get some bushes to attract them.

    Your tomatoe and veggy dish looks awesome! I know it must give a lot of satisfaction to grow things and then make wonderful dishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My tomatoes are just now growing, too. I love the idea of chopping them up with onions and celery and baking them over meatballs. I'm going to have to do that! I'm always looking for good, easy, healthy recipes that will have leftovers so that I don't have to cook every single day.

    You sure have had a lot of beautiful butterflies visiting you. I've only seen two here in my butterfly garden this summer, so far. I will have to check out those links that you gave.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love butterfly bushes but now Washington state has declared them a noxious weed and you can’t have them anymore, go figureπŸ˜‰

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.