Friday, June 10, 2022

Treat Night


With only two of us in the house, I find I don't bake cookies nearly as often as I once did.  Consequently, when I do bake them it seems like a lot more work than it once was.  Which is probably a good thing as we both have trouble with willpower when it comes to freshly baked cookies.
The other day Brett mentioned that he could really go for a chocolate chip cookie.  Sounded like a good idea to me so, I got to work in the kitchen.


When I was in elementary school, my mom deemed Friday night as treat night.  She would bake a special treat to signal the start to the weekend.  I think back then we would share it while watching tv together as a family.  While baking my cookies, I thought back to that little tradition.  A simple idea that soon became a much anticipated event.  


At this age I'm not sure it would be a good idea to make treat night a weekly event, but once in a while it might be rather nice.
All those years ago the tv shows I looked forward to the most were That Girl and Bewitched.  Now we're binge watching our way through Grantchester and enjoying it immensely.

It's a beautiful morning here today.  I plan to spend as much time outdoors as possible.  Next week we are heading into the 90s with a couple of days predicted at 97.  Ugh!  Way too hot.  I won't think of it today.  Instead I'll enjoy the fresh, cooler air knowing at the end of the day treat night awaits.

Are you looking forward to anything as the weekend draws near?



                                                                  

9 comments:

  1. Friday night was sort of a treat night in my childhood home, too. I remember it was a big deal to eat our treat while watching the Wild Wild West. Grantchester, eh? Wonder where I might find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are watching it through Amazon Prime. I'm not sure if it might be found elsewhere too.

      Delete
  2. Hello! I am visiting from Latane's lovey blog. So happy to have found you! I am adding you to my reading list. I too find that I don't bake as much as I used to. But those cookies sure do look good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friday night is a relaxed dinner kind of night here - often pizza or tacos - and has been even when the children lived at home. A treat like those delicious looking chocolate chip cookies is definitely something to look forward to. I've not watched Grantchester, but perhaps we will look it up. Enjoy the treats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Treat Night sounds like a great idea. My mom didn't like to bake. Maybe that's why I do. : ) I will be baking 20 dozen chocolate cookies in the next few weeks - for Bible Time.
    Your cookies look so good!!!
    I watched That Girl and Bewitched too. : ) We watched Grantchester too a while ago. We may have gotten it from the library but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When the kids were young we had Friday Family Nights which consisted of going bowling or swimming etc.. followed by treats at home. Now we have Dominoes on Sunday afternoons for whoever wants to come by. It's the highlight of the weekend for us ( and it gives me an excuse to bake).
    Your cookies look delicious. Chocolate chip cookies are always a treat ( especially right out of the oven).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kim, like you and your husband, it's just the two of us here, too and we don't eat too many sweets either. However, a homemade cookie is a wonderful treat once in awhile, isn't it? I've never heard of Grantchester. I'll have to look it up. Your weather sounds like ours - it's been mild here in IL and a little rainy too, but next week we soar into the 90's with heat indexes of 100 - 110. Ugh! Too hot, too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cookies look delicious! I've never been a cookie maker...they just don't turn out pretty. Maybe I should try again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me again. I just looked back at your last post about your beginning to blog. That was so neat. I enjoyed it it so much. That was such a neat idea. I started blogging in February 2013. Would be fun to do a post like that. The years fly by, don't they!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.