Wednesday, November 30, 2022

A Home For The Books



Although I did a huge edit to my book collection when I moved four years ago, there were several that I just couldn't part with.  They have been residing in closets, cupboards, pantries and even under beds.  Yikes!  What can I say... I love books.
To me there are few things as relaxing as sitting down with a good book or reading in bed before going to sleep.  



When I moved here I was so in the mood to downsize everything.
I don't regret that at all.
However, as time has gone on I have missed my bookcases.


If you've been here for awhile you may remember the bookcases in my last house (above).  I used to love sitting in that room to read.  I could close the french doors and have a little hide out from the world.  Sometimes I would just pull a garden or decorating book from the shelves, make a cup of coffee and get lost in book land.
I think as much as having the bookcases, I have missed having a cozy little reading spot.


It took awhile to figure it out in this house.  It can take me a long while to decide on something.  Usually once the decision is made I am sure it's the right one.
Last week the workmen came and created a new home for my books.
A smaller scale works just fine for this house.  
It feels so good to see my old friends again :).



At the time of my move I edited another collection.
The vintage USA pottery collection.
I did, however, keep my very favorite pieces.
They have found new homes in amongst the books.
As we enter this busy time of year, it feels nice to have a special spot to relax and curl up with a good book.  Very likely a Christmas book from the collection that was never edited.  I especially love vintage Christmas books.  They, too, found a home in the new bookcases.

📚📚📚


Now, tell me something...
Do you also like to read and, if so, do you prefer a real (old fashioned) book?
Do you have a special spot you like to read in?
And finally...
Do you have a favorite Christmas book?

8 comments:

  1. I love to read and always have my whole life. I prefer a real book to hold though I do have a Kindle too.
    Don't have a special spot, I read all over the place. :)
    Don't have a favorite Christmas book but my favorite Christmas story is found in the Bible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new bookcases are perfect! With a table nearby to set your cup of coffee on it's a lovely spot to read. I love to read and my favourite spots are the porch swing in summer and my comfy chair here in my room ( where my computer also is in the other seasons). I have a hard time getting rid of books. I don't have a fav. Christmas book. I used to love reading Christmas books meant for children but the grands are all past the age for that. Maybe I'll have to read them to myself this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new built-in bookcases! Like you, I'm a book lover. I have tons of books in this house...some would say too many. I say never enough! ;-) I don't have an e-reader nor do I want one. Have to have a real book in my hands. My favorite place to read is reclining in the twin bed in the guest room, which is really more "my" private little room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so nice, Kim. I loved your description of being in your favorite reading spot and closing the doors behind you. A cup of coffee always makes a nice time with a good book. I still enjoy a book in hand, but I can also enjoy a book on Kindle or even an audio book.

    Right now, I am just dipping in and out of a familiar book about Christmas. If I want to start early enough, I enjoy rereading some Jan Karon books. There are good audio books of A Christmas Carol on You Tube. If I am involved in a big project, I enjoy listening as I work.

    I used to read in bed, but that doesn't work for me anymore...my eyesight isn't what it used to be I guess. So my favorite spot to read is under the good light in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bookcases look so good, Kim. I admire your editing fortitude. Like you, I love books and reading. My favourite spot is the living room where I can watch the fire, or look outside.
    I'm reading Christmas books these days. It's hard to choose a favourite. Jan Karon's book Shepherds Abiding is one and Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher is another. I also like reading the chapters in the Little House on the Prairie books about Christmas.
    I pulled out the Down Home cookbook you sent me last summer, and I plan to make the pear cake from it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could just sit by your new bookcases and read myself through your lovely collection. Some of my favourite books are now out of print like those by Mary E Pearce. I often reread the series of village tales by Miss Read and each Christmas I ask for books by Persephone who reprint old books that are not quite classics (they call them neglected fiction) but are well written.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.