Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Summer. . . So Far


This week my grandson will be heading back to school which has made me realize that despite the soaring temperatures outside, summer is beginning to wind down.  Before it's gone for good I thought I'd take a moment to document some of the highlights.  Like, for instance, finishing my first 2000 piece puzzle :D.  It was a challenge that was well suited for those summer days when the heat and humidity made being indoors much more desirable.


In July we travelled to Michigan to meet the newest member of the family.  Our nephew's first child is such a happy little guy.  We thoroughly enjoyed getting to know him.


With family spread around the country, it makes seeing one another a bit more challenging.  When my sister and brother-in-law organized this family reunion, we couldn't wait to go.


My brother and sister-in-law flew in from California for a few days.
Not the best picture, but apparently the only one I took.


As a child our summer vacations were often spent in Ontario, Canada.  My Dad was born there and although the family moved to Michigan when he was very young, he had many cousins still living there.  Crossing the border via the Blue Water Bridge always seemed a bit adventurous to me back then.



One day we drove to Port Huron as my son wanted to see one of the great lakes while in Michigan.  Port Huron is located on the Michigan side of the US/Canadian border and runs along the St. Clair River.  Here you can see the Blue Water Bridge in the distance.


The St. Clair River connects to Lake Huron here which provided an opportunity to walk along the beach and listen to the waves hitting the shore.  I was transported back to childhood days of enjoying long summer days in that water.



We enjoyed a long walk along the river enjoying the sights and the periodic signs and statues providing historical information.  Apparently Port Huron is the boyhood home of Thomas Edison.


Soon after returning home from Michigan our Florida family came for a visit.  Brett's brother and our sister-in-law joined us for dinner one evening.   One day Jaxson made an innocent observation about my aging neck which prompted a conversation among the ladies about what the heck happens to our necks during/after menopause.  Ha Ha!  This would explain why we are using his arms to camouflage our necklines.  :D


Here the timer feature captured all of us bare necks and all.

***

During much of this time I wasn't checking in much with blogging.
When I took the time to catch up on things, I was so sorry to learn of a great loss to our blogging community.  Vee of A Haven for Vee was well known to many of us.  She was one of the first to leave a comment on my blog many years ago and has been a faithful commenter ever since.  Her blog was one I always enjoyed reading.  She had a love for home and family and was gifted with putting her thoughts into words in such an interesting way.  
While I don't think the blog world can ever be the same without her in it, I know that she is now at peace and reunited with her dear husband, John and, if blog reading still happens in heaven, I send my love and thanks to you dear Vee for your friendship through the years.  You will be missed.

💕



5 comments:

  1. You've sure had a good summer with family fun. Love the happy smiling faces! And I feel the same way about Vee. It really was a shock to me to find out she had passed away. We will all miss her. I love what you've written...amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely summer you've had with your family. My dad was from Ontario, too. He was born in Kitchener. I was born in Etobicoke. When I was a teen, my grandparents lived in Barrie for awhile and I still have cousins in that area. And...one of my best childhood friends lives in Guelph.

    Too funny about the aging necks...yep, add me to that list! My face is OK as far as wrinkles, but I definitely have the wrinkled turkey neck, which runs in our family. :-(

    I did not know Vee, nor was familiar with her blog, but I heard about her passing from another blogger. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely time with family on that great vacation.
    I too was so sad to hear about Vee. Ken and I got to meet her and John in person some years ago. I sure will miss her in blogland but know someday I'll meet up with her again in heaven. :) Even Ken got teary eyed when I told him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like summer has been busy but enjoyable for you. Lots of family get-togethers. Jaxson's observation made me smile. My face is slowly sinking down and there's not much I can do about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A 2000 piece jigsaw is challenging - well done.
    It's lovely to spend time with family and difficult when they're spread far and wide. I hope your weather becomes less onerous now.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.