Wednesday, August 16, 2023

What Happens in the Courtyard


When we created this courtyard patio space, we planted jasmine at the base of the trellis and watched it grow and fill in nicely.  Just what we had in mind to offer privacy from our close proximity neighbor :).
This is how it looked last summer.
A late winter freeze threatened to do it in.  In fact when spring rolled around it was totally brown.  It was a bit devastating to lose it after watching it thrive for a few years.  Brett was set to dig it up until I noticed a few green leaves at the base of each plant.  Rather than surrender it just yet, we decided to see if in time it would rebound.
Knowing that it wouldn't look too impressive this season, I planted a row of morning glory and moonflower seeds along the base of the trellis.  For some reason only the seed on each end germinated.
As summer has evolved we have been watching these vines climb up the trellis.  Not quite as pretty as the jasmine, but at least it's green and growing.
Since they haven't bloomed, I'm not sure which flower to expect.
The other evening I went to see if there were any buds yet and was surprised to see this:


~ Ipomoea Alba ~

One big beautiful moonflower.


For a relatively small patio situated so close to the next house, a lot goes on out there if one is paying attention.  In the spring this cardinal was a daily visitor.  Flying from window to window banging his beak into the window, it was easy to tell when he was here.  Oftentimes his mate would be out there with him.


This sweet little chipmunk has discovered the bird feeder.
I enjoy watching him along with the birds while drinking my morning coffee in the living room.


Apparently someone else is visiting the patio during the night.
On a recent morning the feeder had been knocked to the ground and I spied the little chipmunk wondering where his food source had gone.


Standing on his tippy toes for a closer look.
Behind him grow our two tomato plants.
Upon closer inspection I found the night visitor had helped himself to several tomatoes along with the bird food.


This visitor is my least favorite.
You have to really be paying attention to spot him there hiding between the patio and the siding on the house.
I know that snakes have their place.  I just wish it was nowhere near my place.  One day I was stepping onto the patio from the house to water my plants and nearly set my foot down on him or one of his many, many relatives.  EEK, I'm not sure who ran/slithered away faster from that close encounter.

🐍

7 comments:

  1. You know, if you have pigs they will eat snakes. So you could just put pigs on your patio.

    😂 Ha...true, though.

    But I am with you. I don't want them around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha. At the rate things are going out there a pig may be our next visitor.

      Delete
  2. Loved this tour around your home! Those little things are cute, aren't they?? But the snakes??? Ugh! We have water snakes here and they just creep me out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope with time the jasmine will grow and fill the trellis again. Meanwhile the pure white Moonflower is Gorgeous!! I wonder what eats both bird seed and tomatoes??
    Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting to watch around your place. :)
    I'm not bothered by snakes unless they are poisonous.
    We have quite a few garter snakes here because they like to sun themselves on the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor chipmunk, his little tummy rumbling as he wonders where his breakfast has gone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm sorry it took me so long to return the visit. I've been having a problem with peoples comments not showing up.
    Anyway, I enjoyed your visitors, except that snake. :) We get chipmunks too and I think they are so cute!
    Your moon flower is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.