Thursday, October 26, 2023

Documenting October


October has been such a lovely month here this year.  One sunny day seems to follow the next bringing with it the highly anticipated autumn leaf color change.

It occurred to me this morning that I haven't done a single post to document the month.  By this time next week we'll be into November.

So, before the last few days slip away, a few notes to remember October...


I don't do much in the way of Halloween decorating, but this small display houses the pieces I have held onto through the years.  The little ghosts are Gurley candles that were from Brett's childhood.  The others were things I bought when my own boys were kids.  Looking at them brings happy memories.

The other day I went looking for a few hydrangeas to dry.
Most of them looked well past their prime.  I was pleasantly surprised to find a few on the backside of one plant.  They were at the bottom and pressed up against the house.  Once I wrangled them out of there, I was rewarded with four large blooms sporting pretty autumn colors.  They are now on display on the foyer table.



While I was out there I took a look at all of the plants.
Another nice surprise was a few raspberries ripening.
Somehow knowing that the frost will be coming anytime now makes these berries even more precious to me.  I will be watching them closely as they ripen in hopes of eating them before the birds find them.


When we brought the lemon tree back to the patio in April it had five green lemons on it.  They have only recently turned yellow.
Soon it will return to it's winter home in the garage.  This time it will have 8 green lemons and many blossoms.



The last of the furniture arrived this week.
It will be so nice to all be able to sit at the table for the holidays.


In celebration I made cauliflower ham soup and a batch of pumpkin muffins.  Brett and I gave it a test drive and declared it all good.

Ready to head into November and the holiday season.



 

7 comments:

  1. Hello! I love your furniture, and the fall soup and muffins are perfect for October. I cannot believe it will be November! I do hope you have a cozy evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks lovely around your home.
    I love those lemons. How cool to have a lemon tree!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed this post! Everything looks lovely. I really like the table and the setting.
    Your little display is the cutest. Love the Eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the little things that bring the greatest joy, I find, like the unexpected raspberries and the childhood treasures. Your soup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post documenting October. The muffins and soup look delicious. How satisfying to have the furniture arrive so that you can set up your dining room just as you like. I know you look forward to lots of family time around that table. Happy end of October.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your touch of Halloween decorations is just perfect! That's what I do nowadays (the small touch of Halloween). Love that little "eek" piece. Your new dining room set is beautiful. I sure wish we had a dining room. That's one thing I don't like about our house. All we have is an eat-in kitchen. Your soup looks and sounds so good! Perfect recipe for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you hurried and got the October post in. You set a beautiful fall table. I don't do much decorating for Halloween either but do love the fall decorations. All your pictures are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.