Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Settling In To A New Year




The scene on my calendar looks nothing like the scene outside my window.  Here the sun is shining and the temperature is 50 F.  No chance of snow anytime soon.  I always hope for at least one snowy day per winter.  Last year we had none.  It remains to be seen what will happen in the new year.


For the first time ever I had all of my Christmas decorations taken down and put away on New Year's Eve.  Usually it happens in early January.  For some reason this year I was ready to move on and have a fresh start on the first day of the new year.  
Now the house is clean and in order once again.
I left a few snowy touches in the hutch just in case the snow decides to fly.


I'm not one to make resolutions or select a word for the year.
Instead I tend to reflect over the year past and pull together my best plan for improving the areas that could benefit from some improvement.  After the excesses of the holidays, eating less and healthier always factors into my plan.  Moving more is addressed (over 10,000 steps yesterday and all 3 rings on the iWatch closed).  
Perhaps my biggest area to work on this year will be to step aside from certain situations that I know are beyond my control.  I am reminded of Doris Day singing "Que Sera Sera" (whatever will be, will be.  The future's not ours to see).  It really is so true.  I need to do better at remembering this.
With each of the areas I plan to work on, I hope to work towards them daily knowing that some days will be better than others.  

How about you?  Are you a word for the year or resolution maker?
I don't think it matters how it's done, but perhaps the important thing is to use the new year as an opportunity to take note of what is working well in one's life and what could use a bit of improvement.

May your 2024 be a year of good health and happiness!!


11 comments:

  1. No resolutions here - can never keep them. I also need to stop fretting about the things I cannot change and embrace the joys that are to be found. Happy 2024, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have snow in Michigan either, which is so crazy! I'm sure it will be coming though.
    I take down my Christmas things the day after Christmas, except I left my little trees on the porch until yesterday. I also leave some winter decorations out.
    I don't make resolutions or choose a word, but do try a fresh start with eating better and doing lots of cleaning and organizing which is something I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, I blog hopped and found you and have enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Chris. Thank you for stopping by. I was unable to visit your blog for some reason.

      Delete
  4. We have snow here!
    I don't pick a word for the year or make resolutions. I am just thankful for each new day and enjoy it.
    I have a situation with my daughter. There is nothing I can do to change it so had to give to to God to handle. It really makes such a difference when we can do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't pick a word or make resolutions. I recycle the resolutions I made last year...and the year before! I think they are more like goals than resolutions.
    I remember my Mom singing that Doris Day song as she went about her housework. Heaven knows she didn't have an easy life yet she would sing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We haven't had snow in quite a while either. Hoping things change this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! My mother used to sing me that song! And when I get overwhelmed or anxious, I sing it myself! Here in Pennsylvania we have had warm weather too. They are talking about a snow event this weekend! Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unseasonably warm weather here, too. I always hope for at least one or two snowy days during the winter, but sometimes we don't get any.
    My Christmas decor is all put away - we took down the tree on New Year's Eve. I'm still tidying up a few corners.
    I don't make resolutions at New Year's, but try to live intentionally each day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's fun having the Apple watch to keep up with activity. I start the outdoor walk when I hike and then I can write the stats down in my hiking journal. I'm excited about the new year and hope to step out of my comfort zone and do some new things! I hope! Happy new year sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't make resolutions or choose a word for the year either. I take more of the one day at a time approach. Maybe that has to do with getting older?! I definitely need to move more, too. It's so hard to get motivated to walk when it's so cold (27 here right now) and gray. I have a treadmill in the basement, but the thought of walking on that is worse than thinking of going outside, lol. We've only had some light snow flurries here in northeast IL, but they're now watching a winter storm for next Tues. Depending on how the storm tracks, we could get a little bit or a lot. I don't mind a light ground covering, but I hate shoveling a lot of snow. Oh well, such is life in the Midwest!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.