Years ago ~ well 1997 to be exact ~ I clipped a little article out of the newspaper. It was full of good ideas for de-cluttering your house in the new year. Today I dug it out for a little inspiration and had to laugh at the date of the article. I guess January 11th is the official date that I am bitten by the de-cluttering bug.
I like what Alexandra Stoddard has to say about putting your home on a diet after the excesses of the holiday season. Once the hustle & bustle is over, the decorations are put away and the spring season hasn't yet arrived, why not take some time to get the home front in order.
Here are a few suggestions from the article that I found useful:
- Gather all those bulging shopping bags, stuffed magazine racks and overflowing drawers in the center of each room. Clear all surfaces. Sort. Then scrub dusty baseboards and webby corners of the room before you put anything back.
- Throw out 3 stained or cracked coffee mugs.
- Go ahead and use all the boxes of gift soaps stashed in drawers and closets. Even the ones that say the Ritz.
- Give all the houseplants a critical look.
- Recycle, give away or otherwise discard periodicals choking magazine baskets and racks.
- Remove stuff from living room tabletops. Rearrange it, limiting tablescapes to three items.
So, this is what I have been doing today and will continue when time allows. Maybe my house will be a lot lighter when spring rolls around.