Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Finding Fall in the Dining Room



Wanting to create a fall centerpiece that didn't involve buying anything, I headed outside to gather up some more acorns.  My oak tree has been extra generous this year.  I've collected a lot and there are still a lot left for the squirrels.  Way up high ... where they can reach them ... and I can't. :)



Back inside the house I dug out my chunky, fall colored candles and rummaged around for three clear glass vases, hurricanes, vessels  thing a majigs.  Feel free to help me out here, gals.  The correct name is escaping me. Please tell me that this happens to you too on occasion.  If it doesn't,  don't bother telling me.  ;-).





In a matter of minutes I had a centerpiece for the dining room table. 



My dining room doesn't get much sunlight, so the addition of a few candles helps to brighten it up a bit.



Once I got the candles in place I stood back to take a look and couldn't help but notice the tree across the street.  Although I pass it every day as I pull out of the driveway or run out to get the mail, I hadn't really noticed that all this time it's been standing there quietly dressed it it's fall finery.




Today may have been an uneventful day at home, but time spent in quiet pursuits gave me the opportunity to slow down and really see the beauty that's been there all along.


The beauty of the fall season is fleeting ~ enjoy it while it lasts.






17 comments:

  1. I love the photo where you can see the rocking chairs outside! I wish I was decorating instead of packing.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it...using those candle thing a ma bogs...oh, isn't that the name....hmmm, thats what I call them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful..and I am so enjoying it1 I LOVE acorns..when we were back in Illinois last fall, I brought lots home. Yours look so pretty in those glass containers. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, your thinga majigs are lovely! I love acorns and used them to decorate a little this year. WOuld have used more, but I don't know the people across the street and hated for them to see me out gleaning acorns along with the squirrels in their front yard. I like using natural medium. See how I used that word 'medium'? I think it means the 'supplies' you choose to work with. I think!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way you've drawn from the outside to create such a nice fall centerpiece. And it's easy and pretty. That red tree has more color than any around here. I'm getting jealous of everyone who has found beautiful foliage. Thank goodness, you're sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Kim..... I'm so wishing I had some pretty glass 'thing a ma jigs' .... sorry, I can't think of any names either. I love what you've done with the acorns, candles and 'thing a ma jigs'..... your table looks so pretty!!!

    The tree is gorgeous..., here in south Texas we don't see the beautiful trees in their glorious colors...
    I love what you've done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the simplicity of the candles nestled in the acorns under glass. Makes me want to run out and collect a bunch of acorns tomorrow morning! (I need to find someone with an oak tree that isn't meticulous about raking up their yard. Thingamajig or hurricane sounded like perfect descriptions to me. Maybe goblet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love candles around the house, and your centerpiece looks wonderful. Thank you for reminding me to slow down and enjoy the beauty of the season. It is my favorite season of all. I would not want to miss it.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim
    This is really lovely! Natures decor is always the best in my book
    We don't have many oak trees here-I miss them. I guess what I really miss is the acorns!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I love the idea of putting the acorns in with the candles. AND the photo with your tree in the background is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your center piece is lovely.
    I love the picture of the tree looking out the window.
    I really enjoy those uneventful days at home!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The acorns make a wonderful fall statement with your candles. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was looking through some of my past issues of magazines last week, and I want to tell you that your dining room table, with this newly created arrangement, could have been featured in an October issue. What a creatively done arrangement! The inspiration I gain from you, makes me look forward to every visit. And, yes...it happens to me all the time, where I can't think of what I am trying to. Made me smile this morning:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, Kim! Fall flies by!
    Your dining room is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kim, your little Peanut is so cute! Did you continue reading the book? Love the use of acorns in those pretty glass containers. Is there a proper name for them? Doesn't seem like anyone else had answer for that either. Fall is looking beautiful in your neck of the woods. Hope your weekend is great. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Kim...such pretty fall touches! Your home is lovely! It is always nice to have a day to "putter and piddle" around our homes! Thank you for sharing! Simple Blessings ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love lots of big candles in the Fall and winter! And the acorns are perfect! I picked up some BIG ones here but little bugs started crawling out of them, so I had to take them back outside! heehee! I wonder what can be done about that? ♥

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.