Sunday, February 5, 2012

Revisiting an Old Friend








Over the weekend I became reacquainted with an old friend ... cross stitch.  There was a time in my life when I did a lot of cross stitch.  When I was newly married I worked with a girl who taught me and a few other co-workers.  We used to bring our current projects to work and work on them in the lunchroom after we ate.  Happy times as we stitched and laughed and laughed.  The girl who taught us also possessed a fierce sense of humor.
Oddly enough as I was becoming reacquainted with this old hobby of mine I received a call that the girl lady who taught me was presently undergoing a double heart bypass operation. 
As I stitched I remembered all of the fun times we had years ago as we shared this hobby ... making gifts for friends, samplers for our babies nurseries, Christmas gifts for our families, etc...
As I stitched I sent up a prayer for my friend.  She lives in Michigan and I don't see her as often as I would like, but I will forever remember her as one of the truest and most loyal friends I have ever known.
So, the weekend here was spent on my cross stitch.  I haven't done it in years partly because my eyesight just ain't what it used to be.  But, I got myself a stronger pair of readers and gave it another shot and discovered that I really like it. 
Peanut came and joined me from time to time until it was time to get up and make the chili.  Chili has been a Superbowl tradition for years at our house. 



13 comments:

  1. Peanut looks warm. It's cold here.
    I was just thinking about cross stitch yesterday, how much I like the order of it and the bright colored thread. How nice to bless your old friend with a stitched gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have done alot of cross stitch in my time. I have a project in waiting in a basket next to my favorite place to sit. It's one my Mom started and when her eyes failed her she passed it on to me to finish. I've been thinking of picking it up, even just this morning. Hopefully your friend will be in better health soon. I'm sure your thoughts are with her as you stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to do a lot of cross stitching also and haven't in years. That was a sweet story of your friend and I hope she's doing okay after her surgery. Your pictures are beautiful! Hope you have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had the same sort of willing companion that I had over the weekend. I find that a good pair of magnifying readers do very nicely when working on such projects. It's fun to do them. And proving that nothing is accidental, you get that news about your dear friend. God at work in the details. Lovely photos. I'm looking at everyone's photos lately very closely. ;>

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love to cross stitch. It's one needle project I can do, I'm not good with other needles such as knitting or crocheting. Hope your friend will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had the patience to do cross stitch, I always admire the lovely pieces I see.

    Friends are priceless, and it's wonderful to have those sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I pray all goes well for your friend. Your cross stitching friends sound a lot like my knitting group which I will be going to in just a little while.
    Glad you are enjoying cross stitching again. : )
    A good day to you Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cross stitch and chili...sounds like the perfect super-bowl combination!

    I did counted cross stitch once upon a time as well...a very long time ago. It kept me occupied while my boys were at soccer practice.

    I'm smiling that you crossed out 'girl'...and replaced it with 'lady'. We get comments about the name of our cookbook/blog...people wondering why we would call ourselves that. We like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has been quite sometime since I have worked on a cross-stitch project. I always enjoyed it very much ... may need to get into my little laundry room cupboard and start a new project! I hope that your friend is on the mend. Simple Blessings ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cross-stitching can cause me to get cross-eyed now too.
    I'm saying a prayer for your stitching partner right now.
    I don't think we realize that the simple pleasures we enjoy together will later return full-fold into sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always loved to cross stitch but haven't tried now for years! I've been thinking of just trying to do some simple embroidery. I know I would enjoy it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am impressed that you know how to cross stitch. There was a time when my aunt tried to teach me this skill and it was too tedious for me. She has created many special gifts for me and I treasure them. Your friend will too. What a way to bless a friend's heart!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kim, I do hope your friend will be okay. My father had bypass surgery at the age of 45 which is how old I am at the moment (though that will change on the 26th of this month :)

    During my senior year of high school I worked for a lady who had turned her garage into a nursery school. Her name was Elenora. She's the one who taught me how to cross-stitch -- I used to do it all the time. But lately crochet has taken over as it is so much easier ... and my eyes aren't what they used to be. I must make more time for it though.

    Hope your day is a good one. Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.