Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Flower Bulbs and Treasured Books



Nothing like a stretch of warm days to coax those bulbs to send forth their beautiful flowers.


With our thoughts turned to getting this house ready to sell, this very well could be the last spring we spend here.  With that in mind I am planning to enjoy each season in this garden.  Yesterday I gathered a daffodil bouquet for the table, a hyacinth bouquet above the sink and one little sprig of quince to force near the kitchen sink.
In all my years of gardening I have never forced spring blooms in the house.  I think it's time to give it a go.


This moving process is an interesting journey.
When the stager came she suggested removing almost everything from the living room.  Coffee table, side tables, all knick knacks, everything on the walls except a large mirror, throw pillows, fireplace screen and everything on the mantle GONE.  I was, however, relieved to know that the books were allowed to stay in the bookcases :).


Although I did spend a recent afternoon editing my book collection, there are still many that I don't want to part with.  That 10,000 Garden Questions above was a recent thrift shop find.  While it's not likely I will consult it with my gardening questions, the illustrations on the spine make my heart sing.

Two books to the left of that one sits Familiar Wild Flowers.
A very old book filled with illustrations like this.  So beautiful.  Sometimes I just like to curl up in a comfy chair and look through them.
The afternoon I spent editing our book collection yielded 4 boxes and 3 bags for donation.  Yikes, I just might be a book hoarder!
When we moved into this house built in bookcases were a top priority.  I hope to find room for some bookcases in the next house, but I doubt there will be as many as we have here.  Hence, the need to edit.



While touring a model home recently we came upon this headboard idea.  That looks like a super cozy spot for reading.  Come to think of it, it might also be a good idea for recycling some of those extra books.





14 comments:

  1. The stand of Hyacinths is absolutely gorgeous!
    I love the illustrations in old gardening books too. New ones too, for that matter. I'm glad I don't have to get rid of any of mine because I'd have an awful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s a fun headboard idea. Wonder how they keep it clean... May I just say that stagers are a bit persnickety? 🤭 Enjoy the process of paring things down. I hope to participate in Flylady’s 40 Days 40 Bags out challenge. I need to do something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vee, Persnickety might be just the word to describe stagers :).

      Delete
  3. Oh the spring flowers are just lovely. Sure looking forward to them around here.
    What an interesting idea for a head board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Hyacinths are beautiful. Yes, you should thoroughly enjoy your garden this year. I should bring in a sprig of quince. Aren't they beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I can almost smell the hyacinths by just looking at them. They have a bit of a strong fragrance but I love them. They are beautiful, too! The headboard idea is very unique and one I would never have thought of doing. I wouldn't want to burn candles in the vicinity. :) I'm glad I don't have to do any staging here, but I do want to pare down. Books are one thing that is hard for me to quit buying or to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I missed something! When and why are you moving? I hope you're happy about it, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pom Pom, We are going to be downsizing. Currently we are doing updates to this house to get it market ready. We are also waiting for a lot to become available in the neighborhood we hope to move to. It will be a bit sad to leave this house, but we are ready for the next adventure.

      Delete
  7. I am so envious of all the beautiful spring flowers I see popping up in Blogland and on Instagram lately! Lilies and daffodils are just now barely starting to shoot their little green stems out of the ground here in northern IL. I hear you about cleaning out your books. I did that last year and got rid of hundreds! Mind you, I still have hundreds left. ;-) Interesting how home stagers want you to remove so much stuff, even from the mantel. That book headboard is really cool, but definitely not practical. Could you imagine trying to relax in bed with your head against the headboard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, I agree, not very practical at all.

      Delete
  8. Kim, your spring flowers look beautiful and I'm glad you are enjoying them! Good luck on selling your house! That book headboard is really unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kim! Books are so personal. I hope everything goes well as you sell your home. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to wish you a very Happy Easter Kim to you and your family.
    Take care
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lindas flores. Adorei. Feliz fim de semana. Cumprimentos.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.