Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Around the House on a Summer's Day


~ in the garden ~

The black-eyed-Susans that I brought from our last house are now blooming.  It's nice to have a little reminder of my old garden here in my new one. 
Just above them hangs the hummingbird feeder.  Prior to hanging it 
we wondered if there were any hummers around as we hadn't seen any.  Only took a few days until they showed up and they are constant visitors ever since.
We enjoy sitting on the patio in the evening watching them stop by to dine.  

~ out the office window ~

When it's too hot to be outside I can still enjoy birdwatching.
My son gave me this window feeder for my birthday in April.
It took awhile for them to find it, but now the finches are my daily companions while I am working at the computer.
I love being able to spy on them from this close vantage point.

~ in the kitchen ~

Sometimes I am amazed at how I procrastinate about the simplest things.
Making hummus from scratch seems to be one of those things.
I have had the chickpeas and tahini on hand for months and months thinking I would make it.  It's not like it's difficult or anything :/.
Geez!
Getting bored with lunches around here lately, I tossed the ingredients in the food processor, cut up a few veggies and called it a meal.  A light, healthy lunch.  Perfect for summertime.


~ on the nightstand ~

I think memoirs are one of my favorite genres to read.
Providing the person or subject matter interests me, they are the type of book I find hard to put down.
When I started seeing this one mentioned around blogland and Instagram I went out and bought it.
I'm one third of the way through and can hardly wait til bedtime to read a few more chapters.

Tara Westover was seventeen the first time she set foot in a classroom.  Born to survivalists in the mountains of Idaho, she prepared for the end of the world by stockpiling home-canned peaches and sleeping with her "head for the hills" bag.

Just a little hint if you might be interested.

🐦🍃🌞

Are you reading anything noteworthy
or
having any interesting lunches?


6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a window bird feeder!!
    That book sounds very interesting. Must check if our library has it.
    I received yet another Miss Read book today ( Amazon) and have 2 Mary Oliver books borrowed from the library. Have a great rest-of-the-week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that sounds interesting...Educated. Just listened to Gloria Gaither discuss how good the book is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, I must change my profile pic stat! ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading memoirs, too, Kim. And, I read at bedtime. What else have you read lately that you love?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Latane, I read and enjoyed "Orchard House" by Tara Austen Weaver and "The Feast Nearby" by Robin Mather. They are both memoirs. I also loved The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. It is fiction, but very well written.

      Delete
  5. Love the hummers, glad they found you. Wish I could sit on the porch watching my pair but too many biting insects, grrr!
    Homemade hummus is so good - I make it somewhat thicker and a little chunky, store bought is often too thin.
    Yes, heard it's a great story.


    Yes, hav

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.