Monday, November 16, 2020

Pretty Sunsets and Thanksgiving Plans


Late yesterday afternoon Brett & I went out for a walk.  By the time we got home the sun was setting in a spectacular fashion.  It occurred to me that had I stayed inside working on my puzzle I might have missed it entirely.  We've decided that timing our walks around sunset would be a good idea from now on.  



The holiday cactus that spent the summer outside is now in full bloom.  I'm sure it will be done before Thanksgiving so wanted to capture it's beauty while I can.  





Like most people our Thanksgiving will look  a bit different this year.  At first I thought why bother with all of the cooking and baking when it will just be three of us.  Brett suggested ordering the complete meal from the supermarket.  I was briefly tempted until I started thinking about my favorite aspects of our Thanksgiving traditions.  High on that list is the scent of the turkey roasting hours before the meal is served.  To me, it heightens the anticipation of the delicious meal we have to look forward to.  It is also a comforting smell reminding me that even though the people gathered around the table changes through the years, the reason for the celebration remains the same.  While I realize it might be tempting to think that there isn't a lot to be thankful for this year, perhaps it's more important than ever to look for the silver lining.

This week I'm looking forward to finalizing our menu.  The traditional elements will all be there on, perhaps, a smaller scale.
It feels good to have something to plan for.

If you will be celebrating Thanksgiving I'd love to hear about your plans.  

Wishing you all a good week ahead.














10 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,

    That's one of the most beautiful sunset pictures I've ever seen -- LOVE those clouds!!! Your "Thanksgiving" cactus is lovely; my Mom's is blooming right now, too. :) You expressed your thoughts very well, Kim, about Thanksgiving -- it really hit home with me. We have sooo much to be thankful for here at this house. We'll be eating the Thanksgiving meal at my Mom's with our son and two other family members. Just six of us total. My sister and I will help with the cooking on Wednesday, and bring our contributions on Thursday. I'm very much looking forward to it.

    Have a great week, Kim!

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful clouds and sunset. Going for a walk around the time the sun sets sounds like a great idea. We're so surrounded by houses and trees and utility wires that we can't see the sunset and even the pretty clouds are hard to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sky and the plant is gorgeous. I'll cook all the usual stuff for Thanksgiving but it will just be for Ken and I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 🦃 It is my turn—yay! So, unless someone gets sick, we will gather in my humble home, all six of us for a traditional Thanksgiving meal. I am not listening to the naysayers who seem to enjoy tsk-tsking or tut-tutting. Each one decides for himself/herself how to celebrate and honor the day. May all homes be blessed. It will be good for us to consider our blessings even in this most difficult year.

    Oh splendid idea to plan your evening walk at sunset. Take lots of pictures! 🌅

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both that sunset and the Christmas cactus (or maybe it's a Thanksgiving cactus - I just recently read about the differences) are gorgeous. Do you have a secret as to how to get so many blooms? Mine only gets one or two blooms per year and this year so far - nothing! Brian and I are staying at home this year, too. My mother was going to have it and my aunt and uncle would be there, but they both have multiple underlying conditions, so it's not worth the risk. I am going to make a small Thanksgiving dinner for just the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, I learned the secret in a Southern Living magazine several years ago. Put the cactus outside in the spring after any danger of frost. Put it in a shady/semi shady spot and let it hang out until right before frost is expected in the fall. I watered it lightly maybe once a week. When I brought it in it was covered with little buds which bloomed shortly after. I've been doing it for years and it always works for me. Happy Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful sky pic. And that plant...amazing! Enjoy that turkey dinner and the small, sweet fellowship around the table. I too think it is especially important to remember our blessings this year. There is still much to give thanks for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't been able to get my cactus to bloom yet - I follow the instructions but it just continues sleeping. Perhaps I'm not getting the light and watering right - it's complicated!
    Yes, love walking at sunset - and sunrise when at the coast!
    No travel as planned for Thanksgiving - were going to AZ to family but have now cancelled due to you know what!
    Enjoy yours Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cactus is so gorgeous. I am green with envy... my 'growing ability' is pretty bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cactus is so lovely!
    I might cook a turkey this week before Thanksgiving. I do love that smell.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.