Monday, December 7, 2020

Holly Jolly



While I was getting my outside morning light today, I collected some greenery from the garden.  Rosemary and two types of holly. Back when I chose the plants for my garden space, I put a lot of thought into favorite plants that would serve more than one purpose. In other words, they needed to be not only pretty, but also be something that could provide bouquets, be edible, provide shade, encourage beneficial insects, be food for the birdies...  Well, you get the idea. With such a small garden, it was an exercise in restraint.



Hollies that provided beautiful berries made it onto the list.
We grew many different hollies in our last garden.  They do well in our naturally acidic soil.  Even though there were several varieties, I was usually hard pressed to find berries to use at Christmastime.  Sometimes the birds beat me to them and sometimes the plants didn't produce.  Therefore, I researched a size suitable for this garden and learned they were best planted with a male and female plant in close proximity.  When they were planted last summer they looked a bit scraggly.  But, it seems they did whatever they had to do to produce some beautiful red berries.  I was able to clip enough sprigs for an arrangement and there are still plenty for the birds.

🐦🐦🐦



Just the pop of red I was looking for and the rosemary is adding a nice pop of fragrance.

How are your holiday decorating plans progressing?





                                                     





9 comments:

  1. Well that's cool...a happy Holly couple making red berries. We can nit find red berries up here this year, I was told that it was because of the drought last summer. Happy decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you know what I mean, but that "nit" is bugging me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Holly and Rosemary in the white pitcher is just stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone who plants a garden should take these same considerations so as to benefit all. The holly looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The holly, red berries, and the rosemary in the white picture are perfect. We just put up our tree this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your gathering of greenery sure is pretty. I love all hollies. Here, we have the wild holly trees. I did start a little decorating today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so great to be able to gather greenery from the garden. We have a holly bush, just one, with berries. The neighbour also has one and I wonder if they work together! I have finished most of my decorating. There will be some freshening up of greens before Christmas. Your holly is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fresh evergreen scents and pretty red berries. I cut a few limbs to put with my deer on the entry table. And I always think of you when I get out my elves that you gave me...or decorate my stove. I see you have some cute little baking things for your stove. Mine is bigger but it fits my 18 inch dolls well so I am happy with it. When I ordered it from Etsy....I thought it was like yours! heehee! But I love it now. I just need to find a baking sheet and cookies! We can't eat pizza ALL the time! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How perfectly the holly and rosemary go together! You are so lucky that you can grow holly trees where you live. We can't grow them here in IL. When I was a teen and we lived in KY a few years, there was a holly tree in our front year. I remember being constantly fascinated by it because I had never seen one before.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.