Friday, January 22, 2021

Books and Flowers



While the winter garden lies (mostly) dormant outside, I'm glad we can still exercise our green thumbs a bit with winter blooming bulbs.



There is one thing that is still thriving in my outdoor garden.
Pretty Pansies
While watering them last week, I couldn't bear the thought of watching their pretty little faces shriveling up so I snipped some of the prettiest ones off and laid them out on a sheet of paper.

After bringing them in the house I laid another sheet of paper on top of them and gathered up some of my heaviest vintage books to set on top.
Voila... my homemade flower press.

Those old books come in handy for more than just reading.





Speaking of old books . . .
Have you ever purchased anything on Facebook Marketplace?
I never had until the recent day when I found myself a bit bored and began scrolling through the offerings.  It seems I'm always reading about people who find great items there so I thought I'd see what it was all about.
Before long I stumbled across this beautiful nature library.
Published in 1926 with the titles of
Animals, Butterflies, Birds, Wildflowers, Trees & Garden Flowers and look at the beautiful spines!
I was instantly intrigued so I contacted the buyer to ask a few questions.
In the course of our back and forth conversation I learned
that she ran an antique shop in her small town and had bought the books from a fellow antique dealer.  She had owned them for ten years.  Now that she was downsizing her home she had to let go of some of her things.  She also shared that as a master gardener she loved these books.
When I was downsizing my own home two years ago, most of my book collection had to go.
So, naturally, when I showed them to my husband his first question was...
Any guesses???
If you guessed "where are you going to put them?"  you win the prize :).
Actually he says that often.  In this instance, though, he had a point.




The thing is after also seeing a few glimpses of what was to be found inside the covers of these books, I was a goner.


Though I no longer have bookcases, I put that old saying where there's a will, there's a way into practice.

My little living room is one of my favorite spots to read and dream.
A little vintage vignette in that very room is just the ideal spot for them.

Books and flowers.
Two things that are adding pleasure to this endless string of at home days.
What's adding pleasure to your days?



                                                            


                                                                   














































10 comments:

  1. They look so good displayed on your table and very interesting books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I messed up my comment! I'll come back later and check! lol Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've created a beautiful vignette featuring those gorgeous books. They also sound interesting to read, or at least leaf through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've found the perfect spot to display your lovely books. If I see something I love I usually buy first then find a spot for it. Books and flowers bring a lot of joy to me too. ( My poor pansies are all squashed down by winter rain. I hope they rally once Spring arrives.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old books are real treasures! I love these and you'll enjoy having them in this perfect spot. I ordered a childrens reader from Etsy this week...from 1957. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes Kim, I would have scooped them up in a heartbeat also! They look perfect where you've found a home for them - better than being crowded in a bookcase perhaps, you definitely need to be able to enjoy the spines this way as they really are gorgeous.

    I press pansies too - they seem to last forever then. Sometimes I tuck them away in a favorite book and then love it when they pop out, quite unexpected, and still so sweet and colorful.

    Enjoy this ongoing mild winter here in NC - aren't we fortunate. It makes the hardships of the pandemic a bit easier being able to get out and walk about the neighborhood without freezing to death!

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great books you have found and have found the perfect spot for them. The pansies are so pretty. Will be quite a while before we see flowers around here!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That set of books is amazing...the graphics, the colors, the print...*swoon.* And you found the perfect home for them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those books are gorgeous! I don't blame you for buying them. And yes, I've purchased a couple of things from FB Marketplace. I've sold things on there, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The books are beautiful and You found the perfect spot for them. I love how the little table looks. Don't pansies have the prettiest faces. Many years ago I grew beautiful pansies, but now I have no luck with them. Yours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.