Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Early Spring in the Garden



It was a pleasant surprise to glance out the window and see this yellow butterfly floating through the early spring garden.  I don't remember seeing them this early before, but maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention.  I was particularly delighted by the interest it was taking in my daffodils.



In the weather department we've been getting a lot of rain and cooler than normal temperatures.  All together it's been great for the spring show in the garden.  While the daffodils have been performing for a couple weeks now, the tulips and grape hyacinths joined the show in the last few days.  The pansies that I planted last fall are happy with the cooler weather too.  Once the heat sets in they will be ready to call it quits.


This area is a little courtyard visible from the kitchen, family room and living room.  It's been a work in progress.  I think it is finally coming together.  The vine on the trellis is a star jasmine.  Later in the spring it will be covered in fragrant flowers and eventually it will cover the trellis.  To the sides I have planted arborvitae shrubs in pots.  At the base  there is some ivy and flowers that I plan to change out for the seasons.
On the other side of the trellis you see my neighbor's house.  I've mentioned before that our homes are close together here.  This trellis set-up has been my solution for privacy and seeing nature out the windows that overlook the courtyard.  


The color combination of these tulips with the grape hyacinth is pleasing me greatly this year.  I just wish they could last a little  lot longer.  Right now I'm torn between enjoying them as they are and cutting a bouquet to bring inside before the next rain (due any minute).


In the form of edible gardening I'm growing some swiss chard in and amongst the spring bulbs.  I need to do a better job with actually eating it.  Even so, it is such a pretty addition to the garden with it's big glossy leaves and colorful stems.


Any idea what this is?

🥔🥔🥔


If you said a potato plant, you win!!
After watching one of my favorite gardening You Tubers tell how simple it is to grow taters in containers, I had to give it a try.


In late February I planted one pot each of the above varieties.
So far they are doing what they should be doing.
Apparently there will be a day in summer when the green growth turns brown and that is my signal to get harvesting.  I'm excited and have high hopes.  Hope I'm not disappointed.  Have you ever grown them?

Have a wonderful week!!

5 comments:

  1. Your trellis is the perfect solution for a bit of privacy. I am also torn between cutting flowers for the house or enjoying them in the garden. What to do?
    Growing potatoes is easy! Freshly dug potatoes taste so good!
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of spring beauty there. I like your privacy solution very much. You are going to enjoy watching the patio changes through the growing season. Sometimes a cooler spring is a blessing. We had one a few years ago where the forsythia lasted for nearly six weeks. A blessed Easter to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your spring yard looks beautiful. Love the trellis and is good for privacy too. We grew potatoes a few years ago. I just put some potatoes from the house that started to grow outside in the garden and they grew. We got quite a few potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your trellis is the perfect solution to houses close together. I think it looks great. I'd get a Star Jasmine but I doubt they're hardy here.
    We had some potatoes that had sprouts so DH put them in big flower pots. We'll see what they'll do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched the other day while all the little birdies were flitting about and diving, trying to eat the butterflies that were amongst the tall grasses by the walking path. Our spring is coming to an end as the temperatures start to climb. Mostly in the 80s during the day now. I'm currently having to figure out some privacy for our bedroom balcony as the plants on the edge have been taken down. We had a huge windstorm the other day and some of my bigger pots went over the side to the neighbors yard below which he was none too happy about. Petunias are very popular here during the winter months but they don't last long so I never get very many of them. Whenever my potatoes start to spud, I'll cut them up and plant them outside. I like the huge, green vine it creates. Have managed to get lots of little potatoes, but definitely need to try and grow some bigger ones. Never hurts to try, that's for sure. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.