Monday, August 9, 2021

Summer Garden Notes

                                                 


Before summer comes to an end, it seems a good time to take a few garden notes.  
Last fall we relocated the Annabelle hydrangea.  It's original home was too sunny which caused poor performance.  It now receives morning sun only and is expressing it's new location happiness in the form of profuse blooms.



When selecting it's new location, I thought placing it outside my office/laundry room window might be nice.  I am happy to report that it has made for a pleasurable work day to see the flowers along with the bees and butterflies that come to visit.  The Japanese Beetles were frequent visitors too.  Thankfully they are long gone now.


When I set up this grouping on the kitchen counter I envisioned the day I could fill the Ball jars with hydrangeas.  It doesn't take many to make a sizable bouquet.



A few more paired with Black-Eyed Susans made a cheerful centerpiece for the dining table.


The potatoes that were planted in pots here did very well.
We harvested them in June and they were delicious.
Our favorite way to prepare them was boiled until tender.  A bit of butter and plenty of fresh chopped chives sprinkled on top.
Yum!
As for that squash...
When we purchased our two tomato plants in the spring I noticed a little vine coming out of one of them.  I figured it was either a cucumber or some type of squash.  It's been fun to wait and see what little surprise was in store.  So far we've harvested 5 yellow crookneck squash.  


The bees have been enjoying the purple coneflowers all summer.
Now the goldfinches are beginning to enjoy the seedheads.
For that reason I won't be clipping them off.

You can't beat the return on your investment with a pack of zinnia seeds.  One packet provided two bigs pots of colorful cheer on the patio.  They have provided countless little bouquets around the house and the bees, butterflies and hummingbirds are frequent visitors.
At this point the foliage is looking a bit rough.  The hummers aren't bothered by that so, as long as they continue to visit, I will keep watering them.



A few in a vase along with a snip of coleus.
Another way to brighten the workday ; ).

🎕🎕🎕


This is the time of year when some people are hanging onto summer for all it's worth while others can't wait for autumn's arrival.

Do you have any thoughts on the matter??

Have a wonderful week.





                                                                 

8 comments:

  1. Hydrangeas are my favorite flower...but you probably remember me saying that! lol I don't think they grow well here but I sure love them, in any color! I love summer so I'll be happy to hang on to it for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blooms are huge and gorgeous. My garden didn't do well at all. I think we just don't get enough sun here in the woods.
    Not to hurry summer along but I do look forward to fall - No bugs and things not so overgrown. Love walking in the woods during the other three seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your zinnias are lovely. I sowed an entire packet of seeds and just one came up. Next year I'll sow them in peat pots to make sure they get a good start. Your Annabelle Hydrangeas are gorgeous and the coneflowers too!!
    We've had such a dry and hot summer that I'm looking forward even more than other years to Fall. It's by far my favourite season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh oh...one comment up in smoke. Trying again, I was saying that I enjoyed all the charming bouquets in your home
    Personally, I am hanging onto summer for all it is worth. 🌻 That in spite of the fact that autumn is my favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hydrangeas and I changed one from a place to another with more shadow.
    I prefer Spring and Autumn, Summer is sometimes too hot. I love your coneflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in no rush for summer to end. It's so short that I want to hang onto every day. What beautiful hydrangea blossoms you have! How fun to have a free little squash plant that is producing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Kim, I cannot believe that you are still blogging! What a pleasant surprise for me to find you here, and catch up on some of your beautiful posts! So many happy memories came back for me! I am Judy, from “justalittlesomethingforyou”. I no longer blog, but I do Instagram, and have been for several years. So good to visit you here again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, It is so nice to hear from you again. Oh, how I have missed you and your wonderful blog. I hope you are doing well. Maybe we could catch up a bit through Instagram. I post things there occasionally too. My IG account is humbird170. Thanks for letting me know that you stopped by. I am still hanging onto the blog even though I don't post as often as I once did.

      Delete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.