Friday, March 10, 2023

Happy Coincidences


After setting the dinner ingredients on the counter this morning I was kidding Brett about choosing a can of cream style corn to coordinate with the kitchen.  A happy coincidence.  He bought it last fall when he had a hankering.  It has been languishing in the pantry ever since.
Today it will be turned into corn chowder for dinner.  Which is actually another happy coincidence.  For in my family one never even says the words cream style corn without thinking of my Dad.  He loved the stuff.  Give him a heaping helping generously sprinkled with pepper and he was a happy man.  If he were still with us, we would be celebrating his birthday today.  It wouldn't be just any birthday, it would be his 100th.  Hard to even imagine that.  
I have a feeling that each bite of this simple soup will carry memories and warm thoughts of my dearly loved Dad and that will be the very happiest coincidence of them all.

🎵 Happy Birthday, Dear Daddio🎵

Are there certain foods that carry memories for you too?

8 comments:

  1. Yes, my mother's tea cakes. They were a very special treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your Daddy! I am sure he is smiling down on you today. My memory is of my own Daddy dressing the spaghetti. He would put the pasta in a 9x13 pan, sprinkle fresh Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper on it, and then cover it with delicious homemade sauce. Thank you for reminding me of that. Have a cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Dad must have been special - so glad you have such happy memories. Mine, bless him, would have been 122 right now but died at 76. I recall how he loved rice pudding, especially when my Mum made it in the oven from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brett did a marvelous job selecting that can of creamed corn. I, too, love the stuff and I also love corn chowder. I'll have ponder whether a particular food reminds me of a certain family member. I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's another coincidence - My dad loved cream corn too and I thought of him right when you mentioned creamed corn. He would have turned 100 back in August! Funny we both have the same maiden name too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely coincidences to make you smile and remember.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coordinating tinned goods with the kitchen is the touch of genius, or coincidence! Fun either way.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.