Friday, March 31, 2023

Nesting Season




While tending my pansy bed, I spotted the sweetest little nest lying in the mulch.  I don't know if our recent windy days blew it from a nearby shrub or just where it came from.  I am always in awe of the work that goes into constructing bird nests.
Naturally I felt the need to save this tiny masterpiece.



For now I have decided to give it a place of honor amongst the Easter decor.  A tiny nest with a not so tiny egg.


We've been keeping our eyes on a nest being constructed in our bluebird nest box.  I know this isn't the work of a bluebird as they use pine needles.  Instead this soft mossy model is the work of the Carolina chickadees.  It's been going on for awhile.  So far no eggs.  Hopefully that will happen soon as it is always a delight to watch the eggs become little baby chickadees.


When our neighbors recently returned from being away for several months, they went to take the cover off of their outdoor furniture when a bird flew out and this nest came crashing to the ground.  Sadly there were eggs in it that are no longer.
It was a surprise to the neighbor and the mama bird.
I could tell by the large amount of leaves, especially the lacy skeletonized ones, that this was the work of the Carolina Wrens.  
They don't seem to mind putting their nests in places close to the house like potted plants and wreaths.  In our last house I would watch one carry nesting materials up to the retractable awning and construct her nest under the awning where it attached to the house.
I loved the up close viewing of her setting up housekeeping and avoided using the awning until I knew the babies had flown the coop.


Speaking of flying the coop...
This bluebird nest has flown away to a new home thanks to Ebay.
While I am still attracted to it's vintage charm, it was time for it to find happiness in a new home.



7 comments:

  1. How tiny that nest found in your pansy bed is. I almost think it could a hummingbird's nest!
    It's an amazing time of the year and there's so much to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these signs of spring! Just today I discovered hostas, rhubarb and bleeding heart poking out of the ground. Your vintage bluebird nest is beautiful! I would not be able to resist if I saw that in a vintage shop. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a cute little nest you found. It is amazing how the different birds make different kinds of nests.
    Every year we have Robins that make their nest underneath out front porch on the ledge and they have started on it this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so many rescued nests...love them, but unlike you, I have no idea who the builders were. It must have been a terrible shock for your neighbor and the bird mama who lost all her eggs. So sad.

    Wow...you are doing well to sell some treasures on Ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bird's nests are so intricately created. I always marvel at them, but have never seen one in my flower garden! Spring is definitely making herself known here with flowers blooming and green tips on many trees and bushes.
    Glad you had success on E-bay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That tiny nest is a delight. I am always in awe of the meticulous construction of nests by creatures with no hands. Quite extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the tiniest little nest. Doves are horrible nest makers. They like to just throw a bunch of branches together on window ledges and call it a day. Unfortunately, we also had a major windstorm Friday night and the next day found twigs everywhere at the entrance to our building, and then a smooshed egg a day or two later. Sometimes I find nests from other birds around the park after strong winds. It is certainly amazing the work that goes into them. Lots of little birdies chirping right now. It's always fun watching them learn to fly.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.