Friday, October 15, 2010

Fall Garden Inspiration


Last weekend I attended a historic homes tour in a nearby town.  Unfortunately they wouldn't allow photos in the homes, but it was fine to take them outside.  Most of the yards and porches were decorated in their fall finery and I found lots of inspiration that day.

Come along with me and perhaps you will be inspired too.

~ Photos should enlarge if you click on them ~


It was fun to see how the homeowners brought touches of fall to their gardens.  I like the looks of the plump pumpkin's reflection in the pond.  I have always wanted a pond in my garden.  If I ever add one, I'm keeping this picture to remind me of this idea.
I love what they did with this window box.
I want one of those too.  Right under my garage window. Don't know if I'll ever get around to adding one, but if I do this idea will be in my inspiration file.


This fence ran parallel to the driveway of this house.  Every few feet they added a happy harvest vignette.  I don't know where they got their gourds and pumpkins, but they were so interesting.

Surely pleasant dreams would be found after laying your head on a pillow of mums.

Here's a simple idea.  Nestle a gourd into your potted plants.  This could work with the houseplants too.


I love the different textures in this grouping.


I would have never thought to put this combination of plants together, but it works well.  I also like the idea of sinking the pots into the ground a bit.

Potted pansies are always pretty.  Adding a clump of twigs to the center gives them much more vertical interest and how cute to hang the pinecones from the twigs.  It might even be fun to roll some of the pine cones in peanut butter and bird seed to attract a few feathered friends.


Wouldn't you love to be a guest staying in this little cottage?
It was behind the main home and housed a guest bedroom and workout room.  I must admit the temptation to break the no photos in the house rule was strong, but I obeyed and settled for this outside photo.  Still a very pretty little place, wouldn't you say?


I found a lot of clever ideas for my fall garden and hope you did too.  This guy was one of my favorite things I saw that day.  His eyes, nose and mouth are made of metal that poked into the pumpkin.  I would love to know where to find them.  Now that my kids have flown the nest the thoughts of carving a jack- o- lantern aren't as appealing as they once were.  This idea makes a cute pumpkin face without the carving.  If anybody reading this knows of a source for these metal pumpkin faces, please enlighten me.

It's the weekend!!  Woo Hoo~~ stir up a little fall fun.

19 comments:

  1. Oh I just love to go on "home tours" even if they wont let you take photos! Darn! I am so glad you signed up for my giveaway...you can never win too much anyways...and besides the other was simply a gift! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, that sure looked like fun. And it looks like you had a great day for it as well. Some creative people in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love going on the home tours at Christmas time. You can get so many ideas.
    Your pictures turned out so good--even if they were just outside. the pumpkins are so cute. If you find out where to get the metal faces, please post the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim
    Those are so inspiring and beautiful pics. Fall is definitely in the air in those homes. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see what great ideas you come up with. I'm sure your home could of been on that tour easily! Have a great weekend and enjoy!
    Blessings,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the lovely tour! I miss all the Fall decorations(natural and otherwise) that abound in the States. About the only place you can find it here is Pottery Barn and they are soooo expensive. Even the pumpkins at the grocery store here are at least $30. Yikes! When I was about 12, my friends and I had a tree in the woods where we would hang out. We used gourds that we carved out and dried to hide stuff in. Fond memories! Sure wish I could find some gourds now. have a great weekend. :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very much enjoyed the tour, thank you! I feel very inspired now! I love the pumpkin sitting by the fish pond and plan to do just that with mine. Simple beauty...reflections on the water.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim...I enjoyed all of the fall that you shared. I can only imagine how charming the inside of the homes were! Simple weekend blessings! ♥ Teri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved them all Kim, I know you had fun, and since I haven't decorated outside yet, I now have some ideas,. I too have wanted a window box it seems like forever, Maybe this next year. lol Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your weekend.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kim. The last stacking pumpkin is so cute. It is so much fun to tour and see all of the ideas that people have for Fall decorating. I love looking and taking mental notes on what would look nice around my own garden. I love the window box ideas! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, so many neat looking ideas for fall decorating. I'll be returning to your blog to look at your pictures, as I try and re-create some fall beauty of my own.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing all the vignettes that you found inspiring...I was also intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great ideas you came home with. All of them are wonderful. I really like the window box and I have always wanted a water feature in my yard. Almost had one but then we moved.
    I want to thank you Kim for all the kind and beautiful comments you leave on my blog. They always make me feel good. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it fun to see what others can do. That's where I get all my ideas! If I spend enough time looking, it satisfies my hunger for decorating and I don't end up doing much at home! Oh well, it saves money!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kim, what absolutely lovely fall peeks. I am like you ...I see something at someone elses home and can immediately imagine how perfect it would work in our bungalow.
    Good job on obeying the inside pictures rule. The fall tour was lovely. . thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love home and garden tours. So much inspiration and so many good ideas! Thanks, Kim!

    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  16. You inspired me by sharing the house tour with us. Such creativity and artistry in the gardens. I could just picture being a guest in the little cottage. It looked so inviting. Thank you for sharing these pictures with us. It gave me some good ideas for next summer.

    Isn't this it this time of the year last year, when you said good bye to your dear mother? For some reason you have been on my mind lately. I am sure you must miss her so much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun to do a tour of historic homes! I'd be quick to sign up...and look forward to doing the Christmas home tour in our area again. Always great for inspiration...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So much fun! What a beautiful tour.
    But I must say, I really love the 1950's and 60's photos you put on the side of your blog... so simple and homey feeling...just what people yearn for today. They remind me of my first grade reader, Dick and Jane, and all the good feelings those illustrations still bring to me.
    I'm so happy to be following along! Please join me at my history blog - I'd love to have you!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love seeing how people decorate both inside and out, and your photos are wonderful!

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and entering my giveaway! Have a great week!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.