Monday, February 9, 2015

Sprouting

As Valentine's Day approaches, I found it appropriate to see the shape my sprouts fell into after I finished rinsing them.


I've been making a real effort to eat healthy, whole foods.
This has me doing a lot of label reading and changing the way I think about mealtime.
Looking for a way to add more veggies to my winter lunches, I revisited something I used to do as a newlywed... sprouting.
 It's kind of a fun wintertime gardening activity with the benefit of healthy little sprouts to add to salads and sandwiches.
Yesterday I melted a slice of cheddar onto an English muffin.
Topped with avocado slices, red onion and freshly sprouted sprouts, I enjoyed a most delicious lunch.

 Instead of sliced bread, I tried these English muffins made with sprouted grains and no flour.  They are so good, especially when slightly toasty.
Lunch was followed by a long walk.  
All in all a good day on the healthy eating/exercise front.
I might not be able to say that every day, but every day offers a new chance to work towards that goal.

 Now if I could just get over that notion that sandwiches need to be accompanied by potato chips.  Seems I can rationalize them as, after all, they are potatoes and potatoes are vegetables, aren't they??




8 comments:

  1. How cute that your sprouts made a heart shape. : )
    I always like to hear that someone took a walk!!
    Your healthy eating menu looks so good and pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I too like the way the sprouts made a heart. wow! I didn't know about sprouted flour-less English muffin and I want to get these! I've been using Ezekiel bread and these look like they could be the same brand? I hope our store has them! I love the avocado on them with the onions too. Thank you for sharing this information.

    My birthday is on Valentine's day and so I just love this month and of course the day. To me it represents Love - all Love.

    Blessings and Happy St. Valentine's Day,
    Marianne xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried to grow sprouts. They look nice and crunchy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sandwich looks very tasty! I have a hard time saying no to potato chips...I love salty snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How clever to grow your own sprouts. Your sandwich looks delicious and healthy. Potato chips are my downfall, so I try to keep them out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, just a note to let you know that I found the English muffins, and had a sandwich last night - yummy!! thank you for telling us about them. They were right with the Ezekiel bread and I never noticed them before.

    Wishing you a very happy St. Valentine's Day,
    Marianne xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for a great idea for me for lunch! Your sandwich looks so good, and I like all that you have on, but maybe not the onions:) But, I must tell you, that my brother has me convinced that potato chips are a vegetable. He said he did sufficient research on the subject:) Seriously, I am trying to eat much healthier too, and the walk sounded good to me too.
    I am going to the grocery store soon, thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim, thank you for your comment and I replied, part of which I'll share with you...Yes, I was so happy to find the muffins, and my son, who’s 25 years old, just tried one last night and loves them, too! That’s good news to me when he eats healthier foods. So I really want to thank you for bringing the muffins to my attention.

    I also would like to know if I may link this post on my blog, using your photo of the "heart' sprouts.

    Have a happy day :)
    Marianne xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.