Saturday, March 25, 2017

Shall We Saunter Around the Springtime Garden?


Could I interest you in a little time in the garden today?
There's a light breeze on this mild spring day.
The air is fresh (except for that darn pollen) and the birds are singing their springtime serenades.



While most of the daffodils have already come and gone, I was happy to see the late bloomers just starting to pop out in the back corner of the garden.
Let's go back and take a closer look, shall we?

I may need to clip a few to bring inside before the entire daffodil season is over until next year. 


The garden bench in this corner comes in handy for gazing up into the flowering cherry tree.  Currently in it's glory, it won't be long until it too will be gone for another year.


Not far from the cherry tree, the dogwoods are just getting started.



Closer to the ground the colors are coming out in shades of blue...

Pink and...

lavender.
I got to know them all a bit better while pulling weeds and collecting winter debris that had collected around them.
I think it's good to get down at their level once in a while to appreciate their beauty up closer.

While down there, I also noticed the state of my hydrangeas.
With all of our mild days this winter, they had started leafing out early.  Our late, short-lived snowfall has caused much damage to the tender new shoots.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will be able to re-bound from this shock to their system.
A peek into the nesting boxes shows that housekeeping has been set up in the form of a well-constructed mossy nest.
Soon a new family of baby birds will be welcomed into our world.
The circle of life.

Our weekend is destined to be a quiet and, somewhat, reflective one.
Peanut has little interest in the things that once brought her so much joy.  It's been particularly hard to see her losing interest in eating.
However, she still enjoys the warmth of the sun on her back and the scents that fill the outdoor air.
She has been content out here with her best buddy in the chair next to her.
They are convalescing together.
Brett no longer has his gall bladder.
As often happens with a medical emergency, we have learned an awful lot in a short time.
In his case there was no prior indication of a problem until
the tummy ache after dinner quickly escalated to a 10 on the pain scale.
A few days and several tests later it was determined that it needed to come out like NOW.
The surgeon was kind enough to share a picture (complete with gangrenous areas) with me post surgery:/.
Amazing and a bit disturbing that all that could be going on inside one's body with not much notice.
Yikes!
He is now home and resting and feeling better each day.

We wish to thank you for your kind words and prayers on his and Peanut's behalf.  It means so much to us.

Peanut will re-visit the vet on Monday.
We are coming to terms with her condition... but still... it's hard.
I know the pet lovers among us understand that.
For now, we take each moment as it comes.  Thankful for them all.




9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the garden tour. So glad that all will be well with Brett. Those dang gallbladders! I had not realized that they could go downhill so fast. Perhaps your husband has a high tolerance for pain.

    All good thoughts and prayers, too, for little Peanut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your yard looks like a lovely park. So many things blooming already.
    I'm glad your husband's gall bladder emergency was dealt with so quickly.
    I'm sending a gentle little hug for poor Peanut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your spring garden is beautiful. My daffodils have just broken ground and I look forward to when they bloom.
    I pray Brett recovers quickly. Poor Peanut. At least she still enjoys the sunshine. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim
    Would you kindly send me a quick e-mail. I've had some computer problems yet again....and lost some data.
    Thanks
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry your pets are having health struggles. The pupsters are over 10 now, almost 11, and they're having some getting old problems too. You have a lot more going on in your yard than I do. Love spring!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life can change in a matter of minutes! I'm glad your hubby is home and resting. And I hope things work out with your sweet dog. I'll keep everyone in my prayers and I appreciate yours my friend. Take care of yourself. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice that you are all able to enjoy outdoor time in the garden, especially those who are convalescing. It will be good for their spirits. Not easy knowing our furbabies are hurting and there's little we can do. I'm glad your husband was able to be diagnosed right away and is on the mend. A boy at the hospital last week had severe stomach pain that landed him in the hospital twice and when I left Thursday, he still hadn't been diagnosed and was going for a second CT Scan. The sweetest guy, about 12 years old, very artistic. I sure hope he's okay. Wishing you a wonderful new week. Kisses for Peanut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read this post and the one before it...I am so sorry to hear about your sweet pup and that your husband had emergency surgery, too. A lot to handle and process in such a short time.
    Your gardens and flowers are beautiful. Here in northern IL, we're just now starting to see little bits of green...tiger lilies and daffodils poking out of the ground (no flowers yet though - just the greenery), lilac buds, sedum, lamb's ear, chives.
    Oh - speaking of your husband - he has beautiful eyes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is gorgeous, Kim! I enjoyed the tour. :) I'm very glad that your husband is recovering nicely -- prayers answered. However, I'm very sorry that poor little Peanut isn't doing well. Yes, as a pet owner, I understand completely. We've lost three pets throughout our married life, and it never gets any easier.

    Take care and have a good weekend.

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.