Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Kitchen Views


That space above the kitchen cupboards seems to follow trends just like everything else home decor related.
In my last house I was thrilled to finally have that space to play with.
Didn't take long to fill it with plenty of fake ivy and assorted kitchen themed objects.
It was a source of pleasure for years until the day it looked like a bunch of clutter.  Dusty clutter at that.  Who wants to get way up there and dust?  Not me.  So down it all came.  For the next few years it was a welcome relief to see nothing but empty space up there.


Now, it's been almost two years since I moved into this house.
There are a lot of white cabinets in this kitchen with a lot of long walls of space above them.
After awhile it seemed something was lacking up there.
After watching this video I learned that decorating up there is back in vogue, although the rules have changed since the fake ivy days :).


Seems like now it is all about:
- Vignettes
- Varying Heights
- A Cohesive Style

I like the idea of some texture and less color in my vignettes.  Just something interesting without a jolt of color.  
This was our weekend project.  Brett raided the construction dumpsters for 2 by 4s and plywood.  He then constructed platforms to raise the vignettes up.  He went up the ladder while I handed things to him and indicated a little right, a bit to the left... just right.
My part of the job was easy, other than worrying about falls off the ladder or the countertops.  Geesh, I don't remember worrying about that when I used to do it by myself walking on the countertops while hanging onto the crown moldings.  Just another reminder that we're not as young as we used to be.  The only benefit to that is when the dust and cobwebs start to settle up there we won't be able to see it as well.


 




5 comments:

  1. The vignette is so pleasing providing the eye with something to settle on. I'm sure your husband appreciates your concern. 🙂 As for blooger...I think I can help with your sig. Will send an email if I can find one. I think they are showing the smallest photo on the blog profiles on our friends' sidebars. I wanted the mums to show today. Instead, my sig is showing up. 🤦🏻‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the glass cabinets - I have them as well.
    we chose to NOT have the high ceilings so there is no space above the cabinets.
    I hated dusting up there. :)
    Your vignette looks lovely up there though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a great job creating vignettes that are lovely to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really fun aspect of homemaking! Lovely, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your pretty Fall banner! And love your idea for decorating in the kitchen. I need to put some baskets up on top of my cabinets and freshen things up. I don't like a lot of small things up there but I love boxes and baskets....and old wicker hampers! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.