Thursday, October 1, 2020

Welcoming October




Welcome October


Yesterday I went for a long walk through the neighborhood.
The sky was oh so blue, the air was cool and crisp... in other words a perfect day to be out walking.  At this time of year I enjoy seeing the colorful displays of mums, pumpkins and cornstalks decorating porches and garden beds.  By the time I got home I knew it was time to spruce up my own front porch.  So, off we went in search of a little decorating material.
That barn above is near our last house.  It looks like it's out in the country when it's really in amongst strip malls and subdivisions.  When I used to drive by it weekly I often wondered why it was still standing as it is very dilapidated and looks out of place in it's current surroundings.


Perhaps it is because every year the farmer who owns it brings in his fall harvest and creates a delightful place to go for all of your festive fall feels.
When I asked the farmer how old the barn is he couldn't remember exactly.  He said it was older than Days of Thunder which is at least 30 years ago by now.  Wondering how Days of Thunder related to the barn he told me that it was used in the filming of that movie.  He looked at the barn, smiled and said "Tom Cruise has been in that barn".  Well now, perhaps this is part of the reason the barn still stands.  Trying to remember if I'd ever seen the movie, I searched it out on the internet and learned Tom Cruise played a Nascar driver.  Being that this area is the heart of Nascar, it all made sense.  Being that the movie was about Nascar, I most likely never saw it ;).

Anyhow, back to porch decorating...
While I wasn't quite sure how I planned to decorate, I figured I couldn't go wrong with choosing a few pumpkins and some gourds. In the process of making my selections this scarecrow caught my eye and I knew that he needed to be on the welcoming committee. 


For some reason Brett thought this guy should be part of the welcoming committee.  EEK!!  I don't think so.
Normally Brett doesn't care one way or another when it comes to decorating things.  He seemed pretty adamant about Mr. spider, however.


So, we settled on a smaller version.
He's hairy with red eyes.  Just creepy enough.
By the time we got home darkness had descended, but the full moon and the porch light made it possible to assemble our finds into some semblance of order.

All ready to welcome the new month.


🎃🎃🎃






8 comments:

  1. Your October decorations look lovely. Nice to see a happy display instead of witches and people's heads cut off or hanging in trees!
    Don't decorated here because living at the end of a country road no one passes by to see it!
    Interesting about the barn. I've never seen the movie either.
    Love to see all the pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something happened...will check back to see if the first comment made it.

    ReplyDelete

  3. Okay... ☺️

    I was saying that the porch decorating seems like fun. I have three little pumpkins along my railing. When I do that, I think of your doing that at your former home.

    Brett must have been thinking how much fun that spider would be for your grandson.

    Copying and pasting this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your arrangement a lot. The pumpkins and warty gourds are just right for October. I wouldn't be eager to include a spider either but the grands might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a fun time with porch decorating. It looks great. I laughed at your not seeing a Nascar themed movie. I would have skipped it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your porch looks so cute and ready for fall! I haven't seen that movie either - I've never even heard of it! Like you, probably because it had to do with NASCAR. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! There are way too many bats, rats, and skeletons in our neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That does look cute! I love pumpkin patches and it's fun to select a pumpkin...or two! I wish I could find some sunflowers here and add that to some of my decor! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.