Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Autumn's Arrival


And all at once Summer collapsed into Fall
~ Oscar Wilde

Typically when the first day of Fall rolls around it is still looking and feeling very Summery around here.  This year, however, Summer appears to have done just as Oscar Wilde stated... collapsed into Fall.
When I went outside this morning the temperature was 46 f.  So cool, yet sunny.  A delightful day has begun.




The change of season always makes me want to make a few changes indoors.  On a recent visit to Aldi I was drawn to this mercury glass pumpkin candle.  It has a pleasant pumpkin spice scent and fit in well with the mercury glass gourd I already had.



I especially like a scented candle on the foyer table.
It adds a warm glow in the evenings as it is getting dark earlier and the seasonal scent makes a pleasant greeting.




With the change of seasons woodsy walks hold a new appeal.
Goodbye humidity and mosquitoes ~ hello crisp air and changing leaves.
🍂🍂🍂




Heating up the oven for a pleasant afternoon of baking is another fall favorite.  I did just that on Sunday.  Lorrie was kind enough to share her recipe for date loaf here.  Oh my goodness, is it ever delicious!  So moist with just the right amount of sweetness.
Just the thing to accompany a warming cup of tea or coffee.




Reading always ranks high on my list, perhaps even more so in the cooler months of the year.  That is the time the cozy reads are especially appealing.  Nothing like curling up under a warm blanket with a good book.   I've had an Amazon gift card tucked away since my birthday in April just waiting for the right thing to come along. ;).  Because I have only read one or two of the little house books, it seemed a good time to tackle the entire series in order.  This little library caught my eye.  

With all of the uncertainty of flu season amid covid hanging over our heads, it seems like a good idea to be stocked up on nice diversions.
For me that will include plenty of books.  






                                                               

10 comments:

  1. I love your Autumn displays. You're right about books being much more necessary now that the weather is turning cooler and for us, almost daily showers!! Your baking looks delicious. I'm tempted to make that date loaf too. It looks super easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely fall post, your decorations are so nice.

    I read the Little House series for the first time last year and really enjoyed them.
    Reading Anne of Green Gables series this year and I think I like them even better than little house.

    Would love to go walking down the trail.

    I like baking on cool days too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I debated over whether to go with the Little House books or the Anne of Green Gables as I have heard such good things about both. I will now be on the lookout for the Anne series to read next.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Decor so elegant and refined. I especially like that blue pumpkin. How interesting that your temperatures are as cool as mine. I will be glad for a warm-up tomorrow. What good reading you have ahead of you. Happy fall, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you will enjoy the Little House books so much. I like your mellow turquoise pumpkin! So elegant! We are expecting a storm to blow in off the Pacific tonight for the next 5 days or so, but our temperatures are still not very cool. Sweater weather, though. I'm glad you tried the date loaf recipe. It's one of our favourites. Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going oooohhhhh ahhhhhh over the Little House books! They really are a treasure and will be so nice to have for Fall and winter. You got so cool. We got down in the 60s for lows and thought that was great. Love your decorations....the colors are so pretty. And a walk in the woods is calling me! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooops! I have a new set of Little House books, too!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.