Thursday, January 12, 2023

Cozying Up The Gloomy Days


Another dismal day.  So far this month seems to be one after another with sunshine in short supply.  My tree will most likely remain in place for the rest of the month.  The lights stay on all day and help immensely in combatting the gloom.


Since the tree is totally decorated in snowflakes, icicles and snowmen, it looks suitable for this season of winter.
I am secretly hoping to see a bit of real snow before I tuck it away, but it's not looking too promising.



This post isn't meant to be about the Christmas tree as I'm sure most of you have moved on from that subject and into the fresh new year.
Instead, I wanted to share the built ins we added to each side of the fireplace in our family room.
I did put the rest of my Christmas decor away which necessitated shopping the house for items to accessorize with.  Books in blue and white, pine cones and snowmen came in handy as I wait for the snow to fall outside ;).


Before I put the Christmas decor away it looked like this.
A wonderful new place to spotlight my Christmas memories.
Everything from vintage Gurley Santa candles to photos of my boys and grandson on Santa's lap.


This project was done in November when the bookcases were added to the living room.  There was one little problem at the time.
The cupboard manufacture inadvertently sent two left cupboards for the other side of the fireplace.  So, I decked the one side with a few more old memories and the area to the right was a big blank hole.



Christmas photos were taken with that side left out.
I'm happy to say that last week the missing cupboard was put into place giving me one more spot to add some winter touches.


I do love the garden beauty on my 2023 calendar reminding me that although things are looking a bit bleak outdoors, the garden is tucked away resting up before the growing season gets underway once again.

I do hope that your new year is off to a pleasant start.

❄⛄❅


8 comments:

  1. Your tree certainly fits the winter season. We've had a lot of gloomy days around here, too. Not my favorite as I really need to see blue sky or I just feel rather "blue" :) The cupboard fits the space nicely and is a nice place to switch out decor throughout the year. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your tree looks both lovely and suitable for the season! And the reasoning for leaving it up is very sensible. The new cupboards are terrific too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tree is absolutely beautiful! And I am also leaving our tree up during these dark winter days! I just love the cozy feeling the lights give off. Your cupboards look beautiful too! Have a happy, cozy evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still enjoying my tree as well and, since it lightly snowed all day, it was most appreciated. Still, as soon as my Amazon delivery arrives, I will pack it up. Your tree is a wonderful winter one. Those shelving units are very nice. Glad that the company got things straightened around eventually. Seems as if everything lately is an exercise in patience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tree is so pretty.
    We've been having lots a dreary days too. I don't mind the cold but like the sun to be shining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty winter tree to brighten gloomy days. I love your built-ins by the fireplace. Such a great space for storage as well as being creative. Lots of rain and wind here lately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The post-Christmas days are often dreary, although sometimes the sun shines! I have put away our Christmas tree but the candles stay lit all year, a comforting glow when spirits need lifting. Our new year is being enhanced by our new Labrador puppy. It's great fun going out in the rain and wind in the dark with him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new built-ins look great, in fact, they look like they were always there. It's lovely when new pieces fit that well. I was intending to leave my tree up longer but I woke up one day and wanted to take it down. I still have quite a display of winter things out, most of which are lit up. That helps to brighten things up.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.