Monday, June 16, 2008

~ A Story of Human Kindness ~

One morning last month I was feeling completely exhausted - emotionally & physically. I had returned home very late the night before from a trip and had spent most of the night tossing & turning. You know one of those nights where you just can't turn it off. It seemed like the only thing I could muster up energy for was sitting in front of the computer reading blogs and drinking my coffee. I had just spent a few days with my Mom. I have always been very close to her and love her dearly. So you may be wondering why I found it so stressful to visit her. Well, she has been living for the past several years of her life with Alzheimer's disease. It has gotten pretty advanced now and even though I had just seen her a few months ago it is always kind of a shock to see how much further she has declined and what a struggle life has become for her. Despite all of the sadness, we had a good visit. However, even though I know I did everything I could to help her while I was there it is hard not to feel helpless with this disease.



So, while searching blogs that morning I happened upon a post on Debra K's blog, The Bunnies' Bungalow ( I feel like at this point I should have made this a link to Debra's blog, but being a new blogger I have no idea how to do that ~ anybody care to fill me in I would welcome the information). Debra's Mom also has Alzheimer's and in her post she showed some of the books and a DVD that have been helpful to her in their journey. She so kindly offered to send copies to anybody who requested them. I must say in the place I was in that morning I felt like I could use all of them. However, I felt a little strange to ask someone I had never met to send me something. So, I left a comment for Debra & asked her which resource she felt had helped her the most. She responded back to me with the name of the one she felt was the most helpful and offered to send it to me if I sent her my address. I did send my address & still felt a little funny about expecting this from a "stranger" so I asked her to tell me how much the book cost & I would send her a check.



This past weekend on Saturday night I just hung up from a conference call with my brother & sister. We had spent over an hour discussing the next move we need to make with our Mom. We all know it is time for her to move into an assisted living facility. Like is so often the case in these matters there are many things to take into consideration and we all want to make it as smooth as possible for her, but we know she is no longer able to make decisions for herself. I hung up from the call feeling emotionally drained once again.



Right at that very moment my son came into the room and handed me this:




I couldn't even imagine who had sent me a package until I saw Debra's name in the corner. I thought the package seemed awfully thick for one book. When I opened it I discovered that she had sent me all 3 books and the DVD. Also included was a very sweet & touching handwritten note and the heart with the beautiful sentiment (see 1st picture) tucked inside.


Words cannot express how touched I am by Debra's kindness. When my son saw what was in the package he asked who sent it. After I told him who it was from he said "Wow, there really are a lot of nice people in this world, aren't there?" I think we both had a lump in our throats.


I have placed Debra's gift in one of my favorite baskets and put it in my favorite reading chair. I am planning to find some time every day in the early morning to read these books and to pray for my Mom and Debra's Mom and give thanks to God for the blessing of human kindness. And Debra, if you are reading this, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.




10 comments:

  1. What a touching story, I came over via Rhoda.

    I'm Kathy nice to meet you, good luck with your blog, I think you're off to a great start.

    Take care,
    Kathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My Gosh! Isn't that amazing that it arrived when you were really needing some support. I am so happy to be able to help anyone who has to travel this horrible journey. Seeing the demise of a parent is devastating to say the least. My thoughts & prayers are with you & your family.

    I'm humbled by your wonderful post, as I said, I'm just glad to be able to help.
    Big Hugs, DebraK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you had such a blessing. They are wonderful! By the way, I tagged you. Come by my blog and see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is so easy... you will laugh when you get it down. On your post box up at the top there is little green glasses. First type in ie: Thinkin of Home the way you want it to look, then highlight it and go to the green glasses. A little box will open for you to put in the http://(ie)thinkinofhome.blogspot.com and hit ok. It will automatically link to that blog. Try it....but always remember to put the blogspot, or typepad, whatever it is or will won't work. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so sweet and inspiring! Come by and enter my giveaway! ok?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very sorry to hear of your Mother. My husband's grandfather had Alzheimers and it was awful watching him deteriorate. We did move him to a wonderful place in an Alzheimers ward where he lived until he passed. I don't know where you live but please check with your local hospital and see if they ahve a support group for the families of Alzheiners patients.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect time to recieve that special kindness!!

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

    I've scrolled down and read your blog and have enjoyed it so much. All your flowers are beautiful and I love your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the garden comments at Thistlepatch. This blog world is wonderful and I am amazed as I read about the wonderful connections made through it. As I read your first paragraph I thought "I wonder if she knows Debra at the bunnies bungalow?" That is a blog I often read and enjoy and know she has been dealing with the devastation of Alzheimers. Watching our parents age can be difficult and when compounded by illness it is even more difficult. My prayers are with you.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I found your blog through anothers. I was really touched by your story. Alzheimers is such a sad sickness, robbing us of our final years on this earth with our loved one. My prayers go out to you and your family that you can get through this. My mother is 85 years old, she doesn't have Alzheimers but I had to take her car from her. It was so hard for both of us. She is so mad at me right now for this but I know I did the right thing.
    Love, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how this "virtual" world can spill over into the real one and friendships formed. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.