Thursday, July 3, 2014

Patriotic Touches in the Kitchen

 It seems we are going in many different directions here lately.
So, yesterday when I had some time at home, I couldn't resist the opportunity to do a bit of patriotic playing in the kitchen.


I don't do a lot of decorating for the 4th of July.
It seems that (weather permitting) we spend most of the day outdoors enjoying the lake, the bbq and the fireworks display.
However, we do congregate in the kitchen long enough to load our plates.  This year we will be eating in the kitchen as the patio is still under construction.
All good reasons for adding a bit of patriotic flair to the kitchen.
Don't you think?
This box of cookie cutters was something I had picked up at an antique shop years ago.
 
 
 I think I really should make cookies in these most American shapes.
Won't be this year though.
When my boys were in elementary school I was always a room mother.  I made cut-out sugar cookies for every possible holiday and occasion.  It was time consuming , yet fun, to unleash some creativity in this way.
I hope when my grandson is old enough to appreciate it I can muster up the energy to make some for him.
 
These old red plastic cookie cutters bring back fond childhood memories.  I have a huge collection.  I don't find them to be the easiest to use.  I just like to look at them from time to time.  This flag had to come out for the occasion.

 
 As long as you're here won't you stay for a cookie?
One is just about to come from the oven as we speak and it is very low in calories too ;-).

Wishing my American readers a Happy & Safe Fourth of July tomorrow.  Wishing all of my readers everywhere a safe and happy weekend.

 ***
 

8 comments:

  1. Oh I love that patriotic set! What a nice find that was. Your grand/s will love it! Your kitchen looks just right for the 4th. Have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun patriotic touches. I used to have red cookie cutters similar to the one you showed and I found them difficult to use, too.
    Wishing you a wonderful 4th of July, from a neighbour up north.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure Jaxson will love when you make those cookies for him.
    Like your patriotic touches to your kitchen. As you know, I collect cookie cutters, only the old wooden handle ones. They are easy to use!
    Hope you had a great 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your patriotic collection of kitchen things! Here's hoping you had a wonderful July 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The patriotic cookie cutters are a delight, and I can imagine the memories they bring to you. Oh, my favorite is the toy stove/double oven in the background! So sweet...and is that a pie I eye on the stove top? Oh, yes, I'd love a piece, Kim, thank you.

    Blessings for more summer fun,
    Marianne xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good eye, Marianne. Yep that's a pie. Come on over and we'll share it. No calories :)

      Delete
  6. A low calorie cookie, hot from the oven, shared with you, in such a beautiful kitchen...count me in. I love how you added patriotic touches to celebrate the holiday. I also like how each thing you share, has a story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    You have a nice collection of cutters.

    Bonne semaine!

    AnneXX

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.