Saturday, December 21, 2019

December 21st ~ Warm Memories



When we moved there was one piece of furniture that didn't quite flow with the open floor plan.  Hello flowery sofa :)
It seems that floral furniture is a thing of the past.  Neutral sofas are what I see everywhere I look and I can see how versatile they can be for changing up the color scheme.  However, despite what the furniture fashion police have to say about it, I still like my little flowery sofa.  
In trying to have her not stick out like a sore thumb fit in with her surroundings, I am aiming to create a bit of a garden room feel in this new living room.  A place to prop up your feet and read, sit and enjoy conversation with no televisions to distract and (for me) a place to make plans and dream up ideas for the outdoor garden.
With that in mind I needed something on the wall above.  I didn't want a painting or anything that would add to the busyness so, I opted for a garden gate with a simple fern wreath on it.



Across from the sofa is a window which looks out on a small courtyard.  On either side of the window there are armchairs.  This spot needed some sort of table that offered a place to set a glass or tea cup for each of the chairs.  It took a while to find something to fit the bill.  One day I was in a local antique mall/craft mall type of place and spotted this.  An old table that had been chalk painted and distressed to give it an updated look.  It fit the space perfectly and gave each chair it's own little landing spot.  Over the spring and summer I also used it as a place for garden books and décor.  It turned out to be a good place for plants to grow in the terrarium.


Have a seat and I'll bring you a beverage so that you can try it out ;D.

 When it came time to decorate for Christmas it seemed like a bit of change was in order.  I decided that instead of trying to hide that colorful couch, I'd play up the colors a bit more.  So, I hauled out the 2 bins of my parent's old Christmas ornaments that I have been holding onto for at least 30 years now and looked through them to see what I could find.  It seems like the old Shiny Brite ornaments featured a lot of pastel colors with plenty of pink.  I pulled out my favorites and hung them on a little tabletop tree.

Next to the tree went two photos of my Mom & Dad in their younger days.  I think they were just dating or newly married in the large photo.  I never saw that one until they were both gone so I don't know the details, however the way they are gazing at each other in front of that huge Christmas tree makes me smile and also wonder if any of these ornaments were on that tree.
My little living room may not be in keeping with the latest trends, but I'm finding it a comfortable spot to retreat to during these busy days leading up to Christmas.  A place to remember all of the people and past Christmas celebrations that have blended together to bring me to where I am now.  I picture Mom in her small kitchen surrounded by Christmas cookies that she loved to bake and share with the neighbors while Dad added another log or two to the fire. 
I can almost smell those cookies baking and hear the fire crackling.
Soon I will take Mom's old cookbook from the shelf and begin my own cookie baking session.  
I suppose these thoughts and memories could take place anywhere, yet a room containing cherished photos, a family ornament collection and familiar furniture make for a more meaningful experience.  As time goes by and change is inevitable it is nice to pause and remember.

"God gave us our memories so that we might have roses in December"
J.M. Barrie



Here's to roses in December and more light daily.
A Happy Winter Solstice Day to you!

🌹🌹🌹


5 comments:

  1. Your room looks beautiful. I like everything about it.
    What a clever idea with the wreath on the garden gate!!!

    I'm not crazy about all the new neutral colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a lovely post. That sofa is wonderful so I am glad that it is still with you and that you have worked with it to create a beautiful room. That table is uniquely pretty...have not seen anything like it. Wonderful vintage photos of your parents. Isn’t it a kick to find a photo of them that you had not seen before?

    Enjoy the baking! Laurel is coming Tuesday to help me with that. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your flowery sofa!

    Merry Christmas 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you don't follow the trends in decorating and do what you find suits your life. The floral sofa is the perfect focal point to a garden themed living room and the gate and wreath are just right above it. My sofa and matching chairs are grey and close to a hundred years old. I hope they never wear out because I'd hate to have to choose new ones. Have a very happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a floral couch that I love very much too. Your living room looks very cozy to put up one's feet with a cup of tea and a book.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome and appreciated.
I will do my best to answer any questions here in the comments section.